Ford 351 w / merc 233

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Post Reply
User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm

does anyone else have these engines? If so do you have a 2BBL or 4 BBL carb and intake? did that engine come with a 2BBL option from Trojan? trying to get to the botton of this.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

User avatar
prowlersfish
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 11308
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay ,Va

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by prowlersfish » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:24 pm

The 233 hp Merc was offered by Trojan It was a 351W Ford based engine . It came with a 2 barrel carburetor only . The also offerd a 255hp that was a 4 barrel . I have owned both

What questions or issues do you have ?
TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2009 TROJAN RENDEZVOUS
Port Kinsale 2010 & 2011. Solomons get together 2011.

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 am

you just answered them. sending the carbs out to be rebuilt.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

ken64k
Registered user
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by ken64k » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 pm

I have the ford 351 in my 1975 F32 with the 2 bbl carburetors. The motors run fine. The only issue I have is I had to put manual chokes on them. Both motors want to be fully choked on the first start, as soon as the motors start I can fully open the chokes and they run just fine.
Trojan F32 Flybridge 1975
Twin Ford 351s
Albany N.Y.

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:42 am

ken64k wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 pm
I have the ford 351 in my 1975 F32 with the 2 bbl carburetors. The motors run fine. The only issue I have is I had to put manual chokes on them. Both motors want to be fully choked on the first start, as soon as the motors start I can fully open the chokes and they run just fine.
What kind of RPMs and WOT speeds are you getting?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

ken64k
Registered user
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by ken64k » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 am

To tell you the truth I never ran it at WOT so I can not give you those numbers. Most of the time I run between 3000 and 3200. AT 3k I running around 16 MPH.
I like to keep the speed down so I can see my surroundings.
Trojan F32 Flybridge 1975
Twin Ford 351s
Albany N.Y.

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:54 am

ken64k wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 am
To tell you the truth I never ran it at WOT so I can not give you those numbers. Most of the time I run between 3000 and 3200. AT 3k I running around 16 MPH.
I like to keep the speed down so I can see my surroundings.
Im getting 3200 at WOT 16 mph. I should be getting 3600 easy.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

User avatar
prowlersfish
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 11308
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay ,Va

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by prowlersfish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 am

WOT specs are 3800-4200 rpm
TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2009 TROJAN RENDEZVOUS
Port Kinsale 2010 & 2011. Solomons get together 2011.

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 am

prowlersfish wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 am
WOT specs are 3800-4200 rpm

..... im trying to work from the engine back. Carbs are being rebuilt now. Would timing also lower RPMs at WOT?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

User avatar
prowlersfish
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 11308
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay ,Va

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by prowlersfish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes timing sure could
TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2009 TROJAN RENDEZVOUS
Port Kinsale 2010 & 2011. Solomons get together 2011.

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:11 pm

prowlersfish wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:10 pm
Yes timing sure could
Ok. New plan. Carbs being rebuilt. Changing the points to electric ignition. Will reset timing. Changing the plugs amd wires.

Wil check to make sure that the carberators are opening up all the way and that the cable doesnt need to be adjusted.

Replacing the fuel filters to make sure there is no restrictions there.

Checking with a tachometer gun to make sure the tachometers are reading correctly.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

User avatar
prowlersfish
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 11308
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay ,Va

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by prowlersfish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Captrichc wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:11 pm
prowlersfish wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:10 pm
Yes timing sure could
Ok. New plan. Carbs being rebuilt. Changing the points to electric ignition. Will reset timing. Changing the plugs amd wires.

Wil check to make sure that the carberators are opening up all the way and that the cable doesnt need to be adjusted.

Replacing the fuel filters to make sure there is no restrictions there.

Checking with a tachometer gun to make sure the tachometers are reading correctly.
Good plan
TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2009 TROJAN RENDEZVOUS
Port Kinsale 2010 & 2011. Solomons get together 2011.

User avatar
willietrojan
Moderate User
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 pm
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by willietrojan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:08 pm

My F32 had 233hp Merc's and they were very good engines. As to the RPM question, I would hit about 4200 - 4400
depending on load, Gas, etc.
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International

User avatar
Captrichc
2019 Gold Support
2019 Gold Support
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: Ford 351 w / merc 233

Post by Captrichc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks Willie. At least i know what i am striving for.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers

Post Reply