Battery configuration

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Battery configuration

Post by Captrichc »

Here is the idea that i am having with my new battery configuration. Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
20181231_201205.jpg
20181231_201205.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 8463 times
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Battery configuration

Post by prowlersfish »

What are the blue boxes ? I think I figured out the rest of the "code" :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:22 pm What are the blue boxes ? I think I figured out the rest of the "code" :D
Fuse blocks. Lol.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

if you add some on/off switch's it should work . Now what exactly are you goals ? And how do you plan on using it .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

I was going to wire directly to the existing on off switches on the boat already. I was to be able to be out on the hook for a weekend. I will also have a backup oortable generator that coneects to the shore power if needed. But i dont want to run it constantly. I will need to figure out a new breaker panel to add the new breaker for the inverter since it will have to be turned off when the generator is running.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I firmly believe you should have switches on batteries to kill the power . These can be simple on-off or the 1-2-both-off type . Yes you need to be able to isolate the inverter from the shore power or generator . How are you hooking up the generator to your shore power ? Are you just plugging it in to the shore power ? If that's the case a Shore-off-generator switch is what you can use wire the inverter the gen side (this with you plugging the genset into the shore power . I assume you have no generator like a Onan ?

Disclaimer I do not like or believe in using portable generators on boats
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Looking at your diagram makes me wish I could understand this technology (don't waste your time explaining it to me, I was born incapable of absorbing it) because my 370 has what even I can see is the dumbest battery arrangement ever designed plus it's stock. I can't stay on the hook very long without worrying. Been through it on this forum before. My marina doesn't want to touch it. There aren't many marinas around here with a real capable battery tech who can spare the time to spend a whole day re-plumbing the whole arrangement.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 am I firmly believe you should have switches on batteries to kill the power . These can be simple on-off or the 1-2-both-off type . Yes you need to be able to isolate the inverter from the shore power or generator . How are you hooking up the generator to your shore power ? Are you just plugging it in to the shore power ? If that's the case a Shore-off-generator switch is what you can use wire the inverter the gen side (this with you plugging the genset into the shore power . I assume you have no generator like a Onan ?

Disclaimer I do not like or believe in using portable generators on boats
I will definitely try and find a shore - off - gen switch. As far as the generator its a temporary means to an end. It will not be a permanent thing. And yes the gen will plug into the shore power plug.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

rickalan35 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 am Looking at your diagram makes me wish I could understand this technology (don't waste your time explaining it to me, I was born incapable of absorbing it) because my 370 has what even I can see is the dumbest battery arrangement ever designed plus it's stock. I can't stay on the hook very long without worrying. Been through it on this forum before. My marina doesn't want to touch it. There aren't many marinas around here with a real capable battery tech who can spare the time to spend a whole day re-plumbing the whole arrangement.

Rick
Its not that hard to rearrange if needed. All depends on what you want to do. Post a new post and i can help you out as best as i can.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Had a quick look at your drawing, seems you have 5 batteries, three of which appear to be one bank.If that is so try to make the bank so that you pull power from one side and the ground from the other, that may even out the discharge cycle.Treat that bank as one large battery, I don't think you need to put charger leads on each battery in the same bank. Now if I saw that wrong disregard this. I agree about the switches....... Mike
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

I will be seperating the charger between the large bank as well as the 2 starting batteries. As far as the shut off switches i will be utilizing the 2 that i have right now. The original trojan ones.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

mikeandanne wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:13 pm Had a quick look at your drawing, seems you have 5 batteries, three of which appear to be one bank.If that is so try to make the bank so that you pull power from one side and the ground from the other, that may even out the discharge cycle.Treat that bank as one large battery, I don't think you need to put charger leads on each battery in the same bank. Now if I saw that wrong disregard this. I agree about the switches....... Mike

I Agree
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

So are you both saying that the original shutoff switches, the 2 red handle switches, will not work?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Captrichc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:10 pm So are you both saying that the original shutoff switches, the 2 red handle switches, will not work?
I am saying you need cut off switches for each battery bank . I see none in your diagram . Not sure about the red handle switches you refer to . These need to be high amp near the battery . Not just the house switches in the panel . Photo and location of red handle switches ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Ok. I think i understand you now. The 2 house switches are the red handled switches im refering to. I will add the shutoff/kill switches before those house switches.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers