Hydraulic steering

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Hydraulic steering

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:18 pm I think the steering ram I got out of another F-36 to install in mine only has 7" of travel. You need to make sure that the hydraulic cylinder stops the rudder travel before any rudder stops or other restrictions, or your cylinder will not last very long.
Mine has indeed 9" of travel , Yours may have shorter tiller arms As I believe the F32 also has .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Measured the new fuel tanks for the craddles. Ordered the marine ply wood and started measuring for the floor.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

davidguetta402 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:34 am use the same hydraulic assist technology as standard systems, but the hydraulic pressure comes from a pump driven by an electric motor instead of a drive belt at the engine....!
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Instant Fun has SeaStar (Teleflex) hydraulic steering at 2 helms. No electric assist or hydraulic assist from the engines, just the manual pump at each helm. Steers like butter with one finger in the wheel. In fact you can spin the wheel while underway.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Instant Fun has SeaStar (Teleflex) hydraulic steering at 2 helms. No electric assist or hydraulic assist from the engines, just the manual pump at each helm. Steers like butter with one finger in the wheel. In fact you can spin the wheel while underway.

Also, the Garmin autopilot SmartPump tied right into the steering system with no modifications. I did add a rudder angle indicator to make the autopilot pump last longer. The rudder angle indicator also proved quite handy at the helm. Who'd a thunk?
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's