F32 V-berth door removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F32 V-berth door removal

Post by WayWeGo »

I have found that carefully using the correct bit in a battery powered impact gun rarely strips the screw heads, even if they are already somewhat damaged. So much so that I bought a 12V Bosch impact driver just to keep on the boat.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Mordaunt

Post by Mordaunt »

Thanks to both of you for the info on the screws (makes total sense based on my experience and I will be finding the right tool for the future!) and for the suggestion on the proper stain.

I've only had this boat for 2 weeks so far (sold my old Gibson houseboat and made the Trojan upgrade) and still very much in a learning curve. Fortunately the boat itself was well maintained by the prior owner of 19 years so it's really more about personalization.

Next I'll be diving into better battery bank configuration as the boat only has 2 batteries for everything and with the 12V fridge I'm not feeling confident about overnights on the water.
1985 Trojan F32
Mordaunt

Post by Mordaunt »

WayWeGo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 am I have found that carefully using the correct bit in a battery powered impact gun rarely strips the screw heads, even if they are already somewhat damaged. So much so that I bought a 12V Bosch impact driver just to keep on the boat.
Yeah I actually used my driver for just this reason and had success with most of them even with the wrong bit. But when they got even a little stripped or were particularly stuck it didn't take much to destroy them.
1985 Trojan F32
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Mordaunt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 pm Also noticed his site sells the original plugs for the screw holes so might get a bag of those to refill the spots that are now exposed.
You might consider a thin strip of wood over the whole face where they screw holes are. The plugs will be more obvious than a new "face," even if your OCD is as bad as mine and you match color, grain, and grain orientation when you install the plugs.

And if you're stripping screw heads, make sure that you're using the right type of driver bit. Got a lot of screws on my boat that are Frearson drive. I also have had luck with a #1 Phillips bit when my Frearson bits were vacationing in the bilge.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!