'82 Tri-Cabin Bow Pulpit advice.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Medic4U

'82 Tri-Cabin Bow Pulpit advice.

Post by Medic4U »

I am about to be the proud new owner of a very clean, ORIGINAL OWNER '82 36' Tri-Cabin. About the only thing I want to change (right like I don't want to do more...) is to add a Bow Pulpit. I want to do this so I can set the anchor up for easy use, with a windlass. I am looking for opinions of other Trojan owners as to which I should do, a teak or fiberglass pulpit. I have mixed feelings. I love the look of a nice teak pulpit, and would add some style, but I also like to smooth 'factory' look too. Anyone who has some good pictures of each would be a great help.

I have lived around boats my whole life, and am 'using' this 36 Tri-Can to live on a majority of each of the next few summers to help me have adequate current hours to attain my 6-Pack license. I thank you in advance.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: '82 Tri-Cabin Bow Pulpit advice.

Post by prowlersfish »

I put a F-glass one on my F36
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Put a Good Automatic Windlass bow roller and windlass on ours, no pulpit needed, worked like a charm. Check em out.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Im building a solid teak bow pulpit from scratch, with integrated spot light, flood lights, anchor roller, and windlass.

I'd post the cost, but my wife might read the forum....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 pm Im building a solid teak bow pulpit from scratch, with integrated spot light, flood lights, anchor roller, and windlass.

I'd post the cost, but my wife might read the forum....

You sir are a smart man :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

P-Dogg, on another forum, a number of people have integrated a raw water washdown system on the pulpit to wash the anchor rode as it comes up to the pulley on the pulpit. With all the mud we have in the Chesapeake, I think I am going to take a look at doing this myself. If you point a nozzle in the right direction, the washdown can work on its own and you can operate it from the helm. The folks who have done this say they are getting the rode clean without having to stand at the bow with a hose.

Since we sleep in the V-berth and the anchor locker is vented to it, keeping mud and organic matter out of the anchor locker is a good thing.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

This is my set up I had a good before with the Good roller set up and it worked well put I wanted a Pulpit just because . I replace the good with a Lemar only so I could use chain . I would have gone with a Good rope chain but the Lemar was a Deal .
Attachments
bow puplit.jpeg
bow puplit.jpeg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

mikeandanne wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 am Put a Good Automatic Windlass bow roller and windlass on ours, no pulpit needed, worked like a charm. Check em out.
That what I used to have , Photo so the OP know what we are talking about
Attachments
bow roller.jpeg
bow roller.jpeg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55 pm This is my set up I had a good before with the Good roller set up and it worked well put I wanted a Pulpit just because . I replace the good with a Lemar only so I could use chain . I would have gone with a Good rope chain but the Lemar was a Deal .
Looks like you got a good deal on cleats as well -- I count five of them. :mrgreen:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 pm
mikeandanne wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 am Put a Good Automatic Windlass bow roller and windlass on ours, no pulpit needed, worked like a charm. Check em out.
That what I used to have , Photo so the OP know what we are talking about
Yup thats it, to add it keeps the boat length ( loa) the same as well. Thanks for posting the pic Paul.They really were good people with me.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I'm a fan of teak -- out of respect to the history of boats and boat building, I just think there has to be at least some wood and brightwork. Call me an old boat fuddy-duddy. Not a Tri-Cab, but this pulpit was already on my F32 when I bought it. Finished with a few coats of Cetol Light followed by a few coats of Cetol Gloss.

pulpit.jpg
pulpit.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 5583 times