Updating Electrical System on 1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Updating Electrical System on 1976 F32

Post by P-Dogg »

Its hard to meet the ABYC 7" guidance without using this type of fuseholder: https://www.bluesea.com/products/2151/D ... 30_to_300A

Example of fuse:
fuse.JPG
fuse.JPG (59.04 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Fishblues wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm As long as I can power my coffee machine in the am, a small TV and my refrigerator I am a happy camper!
On two AGM batteries that are what, 200 A-hrs each at a 20 hr rate? I think that you're going to be an unhappy camper if you plan on running these things on battery power alone.

May I recommend that you buy yourself a kill-a-watt, measure the actual A-hr draw of your appliances while in operation, account for duty cycle (Fridge runs more in August -- can be helped with ice blocks), figure out how long you are going to go between recharges, and buy and read the book that I referenced up-thread? I don't have my calcs handy, but I needed way more battery capacity than that.....
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

BigD, Sound advice, thank you. As for going straight to the batteries with the charger, that was told to me by the tech at Promariner when I called for advice. But i'll double check... I do that allot.

P-Dogg, I know I am cutting it close. I have done the calculations and will probably do the math again to make sure. We are doing weekends on the hook, not much longer than that. I will probably wind up getting a good battery monitor, like the Balmar Smartgauge so I will know where i'm at.
If all else fails and amp hours get tight I can always fall back on the Yeti :P
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

Ice blocks will help ur fridge. Freezer during the week, into fridge on the weekend. Good luck!