Auto Pilot

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Auto Pilot

Post by Jimmy »

Looking at adding auto pilot to the 11 meter. I recently updated Radar to Raymarine eS78 which has chartplotter, fish finder, Radar, cameras, and Auto Pilot capability. Pretty much does everything except clean fish. Also have a Garmin GPSmap 420. I know vey little about Auto pilot. We primarily fish the great lakes, and on days when the fish are particularly hungry, we need all hands on deck, and to have short moments of hands off the wheel and maintain course are a plus.

What brands are best? Pros, cons, and what to watch out for when selecting. Just starting to snoop the net, but lots of experience on this site. Id probably like to stick with one that talks to the eS78, but not mandatory.

All ears....
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: Auto Pilot

Post by gitchisum »

Jimmy,

I like my Raymarine unit. I use it for the same purpose that you need. My system is old (2004) so my model and specifics will be different, but I have the 6001 tied into a course computer / black box, which feeds all the MFD's. I also have a remote on the back deck which is nice when you are setting lines in a crowd.

Pump is quiet, response is good, and easy to adjust sensitivity for different sea and wind conditions.

We are just across the lake from you I believe, so send some more fish across for us! :mrgreen:
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Both , Garmin and Raymarine Make a good auto pilot . While you could use ether brand I would go with Raymarine in your case .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

with all the new digital equipment on the market, there is a bonanza of used, decent last generation equipment to be had.

When my Raymarine C80 blew up, I upgraded to an E120 for little coin

When my DSM unit failed, I bought a used one for $55

I even replaced the LCD display on the autopilot with a new screen

Had these failures all happened at once, might be a different result, however for the moment when a component fails for me it makes sense to simply source another used one.

When I hit the lotto I'll upgrade all my electronics

In your case it might be worth a look/see if you can get an entire working setup including radar

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Ok, good to hear. Ill pop into a few dealers and see what they suggest as well First have to poke my head under the helm to see if i have Hydraulic steering. If not, then more hardware. She is still on the hard with her winter dress, but only a few more weeks. :D
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

likely you have the FACTORY Hynautic 3 line system - the air over hydraulic system

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED