F26 Trojan HT 1978 Vs F26 HT 1980

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Texasboater

F26 Trojan HT 1978 Vs F26 HT 1980

Post by Texasboater »

Hi Everyone,

I saw my first Trojan a couple of years ago and immediately fell in love with the great lines and look of Trojan Boats! I now have a chance to buy my first Trojan, a F26 Trojan Express HT from either 1978 or 1980. I am seeking advice on which way to go.

1) Both owners are asking the same price, $6,000.00
2) The 1978 is all original equipment, the 318 Chrysler engine has never been updated and the cushions seats etc. are all original. Engine hours are at 400 hours.
3) The 1980 has a 350 Mercruiser engine and that has 270 hours on it. The cushions have been re-covered.
4) Both have radios and depth sounders/fish finders
5) Both appear similar in fiberglas condition and both are running.
6) The 1978 has a canvas aft deck cover the 1980 does not.
7) All lights, pumps etc. are in working order on both.

The biggest question is whether it's safe to go with the 350 Mercruiser engine vs the 318 Chrysler? Will one be more of a maintenance issue than the other?

Any and all feedback is most appreciated to this newbie!
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F26 Trojan HT 1978 Vs F26 HT 1980

Post by WayWeGo »

Welcome, and thanks for supporting the site.

As for picking one boat over the other, I would look at condition of the boats and motors. It is probably easier to get parts for the Mercruiser, but Mopar 318 parts are available and it is a great engine. Having compression numbers on the engines would be important to me as that tells you the overall health of the mechanical part of the engine.

When we bought our current boat, it came to us with some issues, but they were ones that I am comfortable dealing with. The interior is in great shape and I did not want to get into a cabin refit.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

With all else being equal , I would lean to the 1980 with the Chevy power for the same reason Waywego posted . But is all else equal ? Genaral condtion of the boat and engine . Is one raw water cooled and the other fresh water( closed cooling ) ? Any soft decks ? Salt or fresh water ?

And thank you for being a supporter !!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Texasboater

Post by Texasboater »

Thanks for your feedback! Turns out the 1980 had been sold awhile ago and the listing was no longer valid even though it appeared that way. So today I agreed to purchase the 1978 F26 Hardtop!! I am so excited to be joining the Trojan boat owner fraternity! She's only had 4 owners since her launch and the current owner has had her for 15 years. I'm sure I'll be posting some pictures of her as soon as I get the boat to Texas and will likely need advice on how to spruce up the cabin and engine and anything else that may need some TLC.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Texasboater wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 pm Thanks for your feedback! Turns out the 1980 had been sold awhile ago and the listing was no longer valid even though it appeared that way. So today I agreed to purchase the 1978 F26 Hardtop!! I am so excited to be joining the Trojan boat owner fraternity! She's only had 4 owners since her launch and the current owner has had her for 15 years. I'm sure I'll be posting some pictures of her as soon as I get the boat to Texas and will likely need advice on how to spruce up the cabin and engine and anything else that may need some TLC.
Well that made the choice easy . Congrats on the New to you boat
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Texasboater wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 pm Thanks for your feedback! Turns out the 1980 had been sold awhile ago and the listing was no longer valid even though it appeared that way. So today I agreed to purchase the 1978 F26 Hardtop!! I am so excited to be joining the Trojan boat owner fraternity! She's only had 4 owners since her launch and the current owner has had her for 15 years. I'm sure I'll be posting some pictures of her as soon as I get the boat to Texas and will likely need advice on how to spruce up the cabin and engine and anything else that may need some TLC.
Congrats on your first happiest day!

I recommend that you treat yourself to a copy of nigel calder's boatowners mechanical and electrical handbook.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!