Ford starter sticking

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Ford starter sticking

Post by Captrichc »

Ok so i started turning over the engines and found a brand new starter sticking in the engaged state. Only way to stop it is disconnecting the battery. Key doesnt disengage the starter.

So..... im thinking its 1 of 2 things. Solenoid is bad. Or i wired the starter wrong. Lol. Im leaning more towards the solenoid.

Mercruiser 233. Ford 351W.

Any thoughts?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Ford starter sticking

Post by prowlersfish »

Solenoid likely sticking , but its possible you could have wired something wrong . Low voltage can cause a solenoid to stick . 2 style starters where used on these . Is yours the type with a sol. on it or with out ? If it has the sol. on it make sure the 2 small wires are not crossed .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 pm Solenoid likely sticking , but its possible you could have wired something wrong . Low voltage can cause a solenoid to stick . 2 style starters where used on these . Is yours the type with a sol. on it or with out ? If it has the sol. on it make sure the 2 small wires are not crossed .
Before i replace the solenoid i will verify wiring at the starter. I will report back with what i find.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Ok replaced solenoid and that didnt fix the problem. Went to the starter, realized there was an extra wire connected to the ignition terminal. This wire has 12v on it all the time once the engine ignition is put into crank. Now i need to figure out where that wire goes to see what the importance of it. But when checking my pictures of before replacement of the starter it was disconnected prior as well.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Captrichc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 am Ok replaced solenoid and that didnt fix the problem. Went to the starter, realized there was an extra wire connected to the ignition terminal. This wire has 12v on it all the time once the engine ignition is put into crank. Now i need to figure out where that wire goes to see what the importance of it. But when checking my pictures of before replacement of the starter it was disconnected prior as well.
Your starter has a solenoid on it . It has 2 small terminal on it or should have ( look at the old one ) One is labeled s the other I . The I wire will have voltage any time the key is on . The wire on the S terminal Should only have voltage when the switch is in the start/crank position . Again can you post a photo of the start as its in stalled . gut tells me the wire are hooked up backwards or some how crossed
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Captrichc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 am Ok replaced solenoid and that didnt fix the problem. Went to the starter, realized there was an extra wire connected to the ignition terminal. This wire has 12v on it all the time once the engine ignition is put into crank. Now i need to figure out where that wire goes to see what the importance of it. But when checking my pictures of before replacement of the starter it was disconnected prior as well.
That sounds pretty much like what we talked about on the phone. I'd start with what Prowlersfish said and maybe try to track the wires back to the start relay.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

On a ford there is an external solenoid that the ignition wire goes to.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Captrichc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 pm On a ford there is an external solenoid that the ignition wire goes to.
Fords use Both types . My F30 used both types . Anyway my thoughts on the starter mounted solenoid also apply to the external style .

I posted 3 photos below . From one post I would think you had a solenoid on the starter as you said you may have wired it wrong ( the other is only one wire so'......) and from this post I would think not . The one with a built on sol. can also have the external relay .
Attachments
wo/ sol
wo/ sol
ford marine stater 2.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
w/sol
w/sol
ford marine stater 1.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
used with both Ford and GM bell housing mount
used with both Ford and GM bell housing mount
Merc marine starter rev turn reverse mont.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

From memory my starter resembles the 3rd picture the most. Could be i missed a post on the starter solenoid. But i believe there is only an ignition post and positive from battery post. Will post pictures later today.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ever get the issue resolved ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm Ever get the issue resolved ?
Yes i did. Looks like the wiring had a constant hot going to the starter selenoid as well. I had it wired incorrectly.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad you got it !
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm Glad you got it !
Yes me too. It was confussing fir a bit lol.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers