Changing toilet system from vaccuflush???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Changing toilet system from vaccuflush???

Post by RWS »

El L Sea wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 am
RWS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 pm With all due respect to this FORUM, this matter has been discussed ad nauseum.

I have chosen NOT to further participate

Sadly some seek information here, but when the facts become apparent, they choose to ignore them.

viewtopic.php?t=11002

I hereby rest my case.

RWS
I second your motion.
Likely you read the link I supplied

I DO THANK YOU SIR !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the one toilet suggestion. Raritan seems to be suggested frequently by other forums as well, so will do further search on them. Update, Not going to cut the toilet our. Seals in the toilet bad, won't hold water. Did remove the pump which was in bad shape. Vacuum chamber in bad shape also. Apparently hadn't been use in years. Previous owner only used boat to fish in tournaments and didn't use the toilet. Y valve for pump out also missing handle and stuck in one setting. Nothing in the holding tank. New Y-valve installed, pump and vac chamber removed, toilet lid locked down, water and toilet drain hose rerouted to handle new toilet, Will install toilet next to existing one. Shower won't be used. With this old boat not worried about resale. After 5 boats, think we have it figured out--plan to keep this one.
Being a Trojan boat and being a Trojan Forum thought there might be some toilets in use, other than the Vacu-flush. . Sorry I brought up a sore subject.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

not a "sore" subject

This FORUM has an outstanding record clearly demonstrating our collective ability to help each other.

Perhaps you would review all the help that was provided to you the last time you asked

you will find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11002&hilit=toilet#p103680

The advice freely given is worthy of your consideration

Perhaps upon further review and reflection you will reconsider the solution to your problem.

Best of luck to you, regardless

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the link to the previous post, reference vaccuflush replacement. Noted the title, and a lack of replacement suggestions, other than I should fix and keep. After noting all of the issue with that system as indicated by the various posts I became more convinced that all things considered, for us, that is, our type of boat use, the molded in toilet, expertise available on that system in our location, and the associated cost to fix replace that system with another vaccu-flush system, it was best for us to go with a different system. So that post was indeed most informative and helpful. Hence my second post looking for suggestions on a replacement system.

RWS note you have a similar boat but with the Yanmars. Bet they fit in better than these old Cummins. And lighter weight. Should give you pretty good cruise. I had the smaller Yanmars in two previous boats but couldn't find a 10 meter with them for sale. This one had the Cummins and was only 40 miles away so went that way.

Again thanks for the assistance.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There are dozens of toilets to choose from. Check out the West Marine link below. Each brand and model has there pros and cons. The Raritans are very good units and will outlast the cheaper throw-away ones but are a lot more expensive. At the other end of the scale are units such as Jabsco manual toilets at a much lower price point but you shouldn't expect them to last as long as a Raritan for example. Having said that, replacement parts are readily available.

https://www.westmarine.com/marine-toilets

In this particular case, I'm all for restoring the original equipment given that it's a Vacuflush system, however one must consider the OP/owner's needs, wants, and most importantly their budget. The wallet does dictate after all. Realistically, not everyone can afford to properly restore a system that will end up costing several $K. And with no toilet, there's no comfortable boating IMO, let alone NO wife that will set foot on board :shock: and if you want to continue boating, you need to keep her happy. My advise though is that you not destroy anything that will prevent the next owner, perhaps one of your grandchildren, in-laws, etc., from putting the Vacuflush system back into service at a later date with the right budget and parts.

Hope it works out for you and let us know what you ended up doing.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Big D, is "several $K" you quoted to fix mean several thousand dollars?? We would need to get the existing toilet out some how to replace the seals, and buy new vac chamber and pump system since I can't rebuild same. Understand thousands of dollars. Right now it is porta potty time. I am leaning towards the Raritan manual pump models. $307 dollars for a Raritan PH Superflush toilet with/Soft-Close Lid. I can rehook the existing water line and hose to holding tank. Don't have to worry about gravity feed and pretty good reputation, but also note Wal mart sells bags you can put in the existing toilet and tie up when done. But for now now porta potty. Pump out becomes an issue for us as well since nearest dock/marina is 24 miles away with that capability. We handle our own fueling--off road diesel so not like we go by a pump out station after every trip.

The two toilet suggestions other than VF are Raritans which gives me something to work with. Thanks
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

One more thing-not going to cut the other one out of the toilet cabin. Wife and Daughter love to fish, main purpose of boat, so even the bag would suffice, but for now will go porta potty, but might go ahead and install a Raritan thanks to the forums suggesions.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The Raritan is a good unit and will last a long time. It too has maintenance items to look after but so do all toilets.

Between the cost of parts which I'm assuming everything needs to be replaced and labor if you get someone else to do it, ya easily a few thousand at our prices north of the boarder. Parts would likely be but not limited to; complete vacuum pump assembly ($$), vacuum switch ($$), Y valve and macerator if applicable, toilet seals, toilet ball, water valve, etc. It adds up, and for some folks, it's their boating gas budget for the season so I understand your dilemma. I suspect when I'm 85 and on a fixed income but still want to enjoy boating, I too will likely have to cut back and do things I wouldn't consider doing right now. Whatever it takes to stay safe and on the water right?!!

Post a pic after your retrofit.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Big D, appreciate your posts-most helpful in my endeavor. Will post picture if do put in something other than Porta Potty. As I noted we are 24 miles from pump out station, so Porta Potty may be best. (Unless I put in a Y valve and pump out with Wed/Dry Vac like I did with the previous boat, Californian 34LRC.
bluesrocker22

Post by bluesrocker22 »

I did convert one of our two toilets from "VACCUFLUSH" to macerator (and it goes to a seperate tank). It is working like a champ so far (1 month). I set up a timer for 30 seconds on the macerator pump, so you push a button, flush the toilet, 30 seconds later the macerator shuts off. So, now we have two totally independent systems, and when I want to empty the "second" tank (smaller one) I just turn a valve in the engine room and hit a switch to a transfer pump and all the waste from the second tank moves to our "main" tank (larger one). Turn the valve back and you are back to normal operation. I will say that I BELIEVE someone took out the "grille" that is just inside of the typical vaccuflush toilet (to grind things up on the way by) on the one I converted, which may be the reason we were having such trouble using it as a vaccuflush in the first place.