Changing toilet system from vaccuflush???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Changing toilet system from vaccuflush???

Post by fighterpilot »

Has anyone converted to a standard marine toilet system from the vacuflush system. Boat is 1986 Trojan 10 meter express. Apparently the system hasn't worked for years. Boat was used just for tournament fishing. Rather than try to figure out the system and rebuild it all will convert to a more standard system, even if have to locate the toilet over the shower grate, vice cutting out the old system. I have researched the vacuflush system, read all I can on the various forums and for our once in a while use will convert it or just use porta potty. But if anyone has made the switch would appreciate their experience. Believe I can get enough gravity drop to holding tank if positioned closer to it, like on the shower grate and getting a drop from there, thru the wall of the shower basin to the tank. Thanks
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Changing toilet system from vaccuflush???

Post by RWS »

With all due respect to this FORUM, this matter has been discussed ad nauseum.

I have chosen NOT to further participate

Sadly some seek information here, but when the facts become apparent, they choose to ignore them.

viewtopic.php?t=11002

I hereby rest my case.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If your not going to fix the Vacuflush . I have 2 Ideas leave it in so the next owner can fix it and use a portopoty .OR Cut it out and reglass the head so it looks good a install a REAL MARINE HEAD . Forget the gravity head As I have said bad idea real bad .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

My questions was, has anyone changed it out. Didn't find any "facts" as to how it was done from some one on changing it out.
Sorry if I offended someone. If the facts are there would appreciate a reference link to someone that did the task. Thanks
I don't plan on cutting the other one out. I will remove the vac and pump and than it can be rebuilt and reinstalled if someone else wants to do it when it is sold in later years. . Since the toilet seal itself is leaking that also appears to be challenge.

Appreciate your suggestion about real marine head. Could you suggest some brands or models? Thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Raritan Seaera , great head . Not a Vacu-flush but still a good unit
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
bluesrocker22

Post by bluesrocker22 »

I have an extra waste tank on my 12 meter, and I am thinking about turning one of the vacuflush heads (we have two) into a "Macerator" flush system that will pump to this tank.

My thoughts are that then I would have two totally independent systems. I was going to put a 12VDC timer on the macerator pump, so when you are ready to flush, you would push a button to start this timer (run the pump for 30 seconds?). Then, you push down on the foot pedal of the vacuflush and off goes the waste to the holding tank.

I already have the pump, so all it would involve would be some re-plumbing of the existing waste lines.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

bluesrocker22 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:28 pm I have an extra waste tank on my 12 meter, and I am thinking about turning one of the vacuflush heads (we have two) into a "Macerator" flush system that will pump to this tank.

My thoughts are that then I would have two totally independent systems. I was going to put a 12VDC timer on the macerator pump, so when you are ready to flush, you would push a button to start this timer (run the pump for 30 seconds?). Then, you push down on the foot pedal of the vacuflush and off goes the waste to the holding tank.

I already have the pump, so all it would involve would be some re-plumbing of the existing waste lines.
I don't believe a Macerator pump will be able to pull waste thru a vacuflush head .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Did they sell this boat with a standard marine flush type toilet and made the vacu-flush an upgrade, as done on some other boats???. I note there is caulking around the toilet rim just below the area of the seat. Can you lift out the toilet? Is that how you rebuild the seals there?

Got the vacu-flush pump out today. Picture attached. Looks pretty rough to consider rebuild. Don't know about Vacu tank.
Toilet does not seal and hold water.

Thanks for the toilet reference. Will look into it.
100_3227.JPG
100_3227.JPG (116.52 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I believe it came std with Vacuflush bit not sure . Not sure about the head it self on rebuilding bit the rest is junk and needs replacement
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I feel like I've seen this movie.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

That toilet was standard for that boat and year, so there probably isn't any other marine toilet that would drop in, so will replace it, but not with vacu-flush. Will remove caulking around seat area and see if I can lift it out to see hook ups for water etc. Than the decision to be made is to cut it out or install another system over the shower drain area.
Not going to worry about resale value. Have 3 grandsons with families, son-in-law, daughter, and my wife all like to fish. Snapper fishing, etc, watch the Blues at their home time shows, and watch the Bands on the blackwater up the river on a Fri. night. And of course 4th of July celebration observation from the boat. Not going to live aboard nor travel distances, probably never use the shower. This is the 5th different style boat for us and since I am 85 years old it is my last last one.
Will retain the macerator pump out system and the dock side pump out system from the existing holding tank. Just got to choose a more conventional marine toilet that I can use with the existing arrangements either by cutting the existing one our or just moving over a bit and putting on the shower grate. Don't mind using fresh water for flush. Not sure about electric toilet. Figuring a "pumping" type toilet now. Any suggestions for best ones under $500.00 would be appreciated. In the mean time I have a big porta potty in there. Thanks for your help.
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

RWS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 pm With all due respect to this FORUM, this matter has been discussed ad nauseum.

I have chosen NOT to further participate

Sadly some seek information here, but when the facts become apparent, they choose to ignore them.

viewtopic.php?t=11002

I hereby rest my case.

RWS
I second your motion.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Come on, I'm asking for the latest and best information on other marine toilets, looking for up to date information on the best ones under $500.00 since I am not going to go with vacu-flush. I have one or two suggesions. Other forums are helpfull and I know this one has some good info to offer as well. What is the lastest info available on them. Thanks.
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

fighterpilot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:12 am Come on, I'm asking for the latest and best information on other marine toilets, looking for up to date information on the best ones under $500.00 since I am not going to go with vacu-flush. I have one or two suggesions. Other forums are helpfull and I know this one has some good info to offer as well. What is the lastest info available on them. Thanks.
If my vacu-flush broke, I would pay whatever it would cost... to replace the whole system with a brand new .... vacu-flush.

Vacuflush System.jpg
Vacuflush System.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fighterpilot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:12 am Come on, I'm asking for the latest and best information on other marine toilets, looking for up to date information on the best ones under $500.00 since I am not going to go with vacu-flush. I have one or two suggesions. Other forums are helpfull and I know this one has some good info to offer as well. What is the lastest info available on them. Thanks.
I gave you a recc. on a good head that's about 500. But they also make several manual ones. Want to go cheaper then you have Jabsco starting at 200. Rule makes them too .

Heads at least the basic ones have not changed in decades . Want the latest and greatest its going to cost .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels