Racor 900 versus spin on spin off filters

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Racor 900 versus spin on spin off filters

Post by fighterpilot »

New boat to us. Trojan 10 meter. Cummins 970 CPL, 300 hp engines with some updates. Changing all the filters etc. Noted Racor 900s had water in them. One 300 gal. Tank. One filler station. Don't like messing with the Racors. Changed from them on previous boat with the SMX double doubles and squeeze bulb primers. Still have 4 of the 1000 filters and 3 of the 19513 filters. Is there a shelf life for them? Probably 4 years old stored in a humidity controlled room. The Racors did separate some water, but would like to switch to screw on and screw off system with primer/pump capability. Pretty sure one engine, without the shutoff valve at the filter system has air in system Can I switch to the double doubles and achieve water separation or should I stay with the Racors until I get the water out??
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Racor 900 versus spin on spin off filters

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure the squeeze bulbs are bypassed running. The CPL970 flow way too much fuel to run through the bulb. One nice thing about the racors is you can see the water and drain as needed . As long as the SMX filter set up is made to be used as a water separator it would be fine I am assuming they are rated for the right flow ( the Racor 900s are) . You can check the filter info on the SBmar site . I let you do the home work . FWIW I have no plans to get rid of my Racors 900s .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

suggest you replace the O ring at the fuel tank fill connection.

BEACON has them.

These are generally ignored and are a good source of water entering the fuel tank.

BEST !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I wouldn't get rid of the Racors. They're an easy filter replacement and being able to see the condition of your fuel is priceless, especially diesel. Servicing them is easy once you get the hang of it.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the information. Will keep the Racors, since it is a plus to see the condition of the fuel in my situation. I'll turn the task over to son-in-law. LOL. Anyway we have an agreement--Our 5th boat, but this time I told him I would buy the boat but he had to maintain it. He has had one boat or another most of his life, mostly shrimp boats with a pontoon boat for family fishing. My mistake at 85 years old was going down in the bilge first and changing those filters. Thanks again for the responses.