Throttle handles

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Throttle handles

Post by Captrichc »

Now that i got the engines running where i want them i want to look at the throttle handles. My issue is the amount of play/slack in them. Definitely is not a cable issue. Looks like some of the rivits have gotten loose or worned out.

Is there any way to tighten them up again? Or am i going to have to eventually change them out?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Throttle handles

Post by prowlersfish »

Rivets ? Any photos of the controls ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Cappy, I had seriously sloppy handles on the lower helm of my 1976 F-32. I was able to remove the chrome base covers and use a crazy 90 degree phillips screw driver to tighten all the handles. See photo of the 90 degree screw drivers I bought from Amazon.
Attachments
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
71S9ivG4ViL._SX679_.jpg
71S9ivG4ViL._SX679_.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Brad do you any links for those. Also where did you tighten up in the controller?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Rich, is your issue with the upper or lower helm? There are different controls for each at my helms.

I bought new controls for the upper helm as it would have been a machining project to repair them. My lower controls seem to be fine. The next step for me is to see how many of the cables I will be replacing. The ones from the upper helm to the lower helm will definitely be replaced since I am already pulling wires and that chase is VERY tight. I am going to remove all unnecessary wires and cables and try to pull the new ones as a bundle.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

WayWeGo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:44 am Rich, is your issue with the upper or lower helm? There are different controls for each at my helms.

I bought new controls for the upper helm as it would have been a machining project to repair them. My lower controls seem to be fine. The next step for me is to see how many of the cables I will be replacing. The ones from the upper helm to the lower helm will definitely be replaced since I am already pulling wires and that chase is VERY tight. I am going to remove all unnecessary wires and cables and try to pull the new ones as a bundle.
Both upper and lower have the same amount of play ina ll directions.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Cappy, If you loosen the tiny set screws on the chrome covers on the lower controls. You will then see the Philips screws used to hold the handles onto the control. I bought the screw drivers from Amazon here's the link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M ... UTF8&psc=1
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Captrichc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm Brad do you any links for those. Also where did you tighten up in the controller?
If you don't want to wait around two days for an answer, you can get near instant gratification next time someone posts an obviously stock image. Facebook pics from the soccer game prolly won't return a hit, but I found a ton of links on what appeared to be a manufacturer's photo by uploading it here: http://bfy.tw/j0
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!