Hydraulic Rudder Control or lack there of

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Wdavies

Re: Hydraulic Rudder Control or lack there of

Post by Wdavies »

I have an 88 F-36. I have a purge valve in the system near the reservoir. Just like a bleeder valve for breaks on a car. For me I loosen the locking nut, turn the screw on top then turn the wheel lock to lock about 10 times to purge.

Bill Davies
Medic4U

Post by Medic4U »

I looked for a bleeder port of any sort, and do not see any. I tried spinning th e wheel to starboard several hundred times, then back a few dozen times, nothing. I'll wait until I have a second person on board & try breaking an inlet to the hydraulic ram loose.

And now, another issue has arisen... I now know why the previous owner put two way valves, & a bypass hose between the inlet & outlet of the water heater, it i s rusted out! Looks like it will be quite the undertaking to get it out. Looks like a winter project, going to have to remove the fresh water tank to access the water heater... UGH! That's OK, I'd rather spend my labor fixing up my boat than paying someone else... So no hot water this year. But there's always next year...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The bleeders don't look like a brake bleeder you maybe use to and they bleed internally . Not called bleeders but called purge screws part od the relief valve block .

Yours is mounted below you reservoir , AND I may see a issue it looks like the lock nut is missing on one the lose on the other . One screw looks backed out , so that could be the issue .

Look at your second photo !!!!!
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

prowlersfish wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am The bleeders don't look like a brake bleeder you maybe use to and they bleed internally . Not called bleeders but called purge screws part od the relief valve block .

Yours is mounted below you reservoir , AND I may see a issue it looks like the lock nut is missing on one the lose on the other . One screw looks backed out , so that could be the issue .

Look at your second photo !!!!!
look at the r upper corner of your photo
Attachments
Steering%20Resivoir   loose screws.jpg
Steering%20Resivoir loose screws.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Medic4U wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:32 amAnd now, another issue has arisen... I now know why the previous owner put two way valves, & a bypass hose between the inlet & outlet of the water heater, it i s rusted out! Looks like it will be quite the undertaking to get it out. Looks like a winter project, going to have to remove the fresh water tank to access the water heater... UGH! That's OK, I'd rather spend my labor fixing up my boat than paying someone else... So no hot water this year. But there's always next year...
The valves and bypass you are describing sound exactly like what you need to quickly winterize your hot water heater without filling it with antifreeze. That won't fix the water heater, but might be a good idea to leave in place when you replace it.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 amYours is mounted below you reservoir , AND I may see a issue it looks like the lock nut is missing on one the lose on the other . One screw looks backed out , so that could be the issue .
Since the photo is sideways, here is what prowlersfish is talking about:

Steering%2520Resivoir%20%20%20loose%20screws.jpg
Steering%2520Resivoir%20%20%20loose%20screws.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thanks WayWeGo That is exactly what I was talking about . :D And sure would cause the issue
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Medic4U

Post by Medic4U »

Thanks guys. I'm staying aboard tonight, and will take a look before I make the bed. I will look for the purge valve lock nut in the bilge or replace it if needed, and advise. Thanks again.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure the screws are turned in .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Medic4U

Post by Medic4U »

Sorry, been out of the country for a bit. Came back, closed the two bleeder screws, added some pressure back, spun the wheel both directions hundreds of revolutions each direction. No change. At this point, I have so many other things to do, I am going to take care of it, and several other significant issues this winter. Although very frustrating, I have gotten pretty good at good at maneuvering the boat by gear position, and throttle position. I still want rudder control, but next year, after I can see what is going on, inside, and outside the boat with the rudders...

One addition I have made, and will be adding to/finishing this winter is the removal of, and selling of my 6.5 Onan Genset, with a whopping 94.1 hours on it!!! It was never used, but I am replacing it with a bank of AGM batteries, and a few more highly efficient Pure Sine Wave Inverters. The product I work with now uses them, and U have two on board now. One handles all loads, except AC, and the galley, and the other is on a circuit I designed that automatically turns on a dedicated inverter large enough to power my refrigerator when away from Shore Power. This Tri-Cabin will become a very sought after, fuel efficient cruiser that will lit silently in the water, yet allow you to to sit comfortably within your air conditioned cabins, without a generator running. The battery bank, and inverters will not weigh more than the gen get it is replacing.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Fixing the steering would be at the top of my list . Have you tryed the auto pilot ? Is it working ? Is the generator not reparable ? Not having one will hurt the value .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels