F32 patio glass removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

F32 patio glass removal

Post by Captrichc »

Can someone explaine yo me how to remove the sliding door and the starboard glass on a 1974 f32. I might be pulling/replacing the starboard engine.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F32 patio glass removal

Post by prowlersfish »

On mine (F36 ) Remove a metal tap on the top of the door and lift the door and pull out . The engine will come out the door way .No need to remove the other glass We used a fork lift .come in at angle . Angle the boat to lift if in the water . I will try and get a photo of the tab , on some you need to remove part of the lower track . All pretty easy . Photo of mine coming out
Attachments
engine removal 2.jpg
engine removal 2.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 11149 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Had the engines out of my 81 F-32 twice. Didn't have to remove the side glass (door removed). Installed thru the door angled with the transmission attached. Put duct tape on the 2 edges of the door to prevent scratches. The dip stick was removed as it sticks out beside the exhaust manifold. The engines slipped in with no problems.
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

This is great news.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Some marinas have a telescopic boom truck that can lift an engine up to floor level in the salon. At that point you might need to reposition the boom relative to the engine before the truck can remove the engine. Expect to pay an hourly or flat fee.

A possible issue with our boats is the lip of the flybridge limiting the angle of the boom, making it more difficult. If this proves to be too big of a problem, you will need to use a gantry to lift the engine to the salon floor level for the truck to lift and remove it.

I watched the marina we wintered in a year ago lift an engine from a Chris Craft convertible. The folks doing it were pros and they made it look easier than I expected.

If you go this route, make sure you have everything disconnected so you are not paying for the truck while doing stuff you could have beforehand.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

For sure. Have you ever made a gantry for our boat? Or seen one?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

In my case we used the fork lift and tilted the fork down close to the engine . Lifted it and slowly back up the fork lift . Putting it back in it was low tide and we move the boat to the engine and thru the door . Pulling it out (Fully un hooked) took about 5 minuets . Just myself and The fork lift operator . Putting it back in took 2 more people to move the boat as needed maybe 15 minutes ? I have done the same with a boom truck .

The fork lift used it the type used to lift boats out of the water . Out of the water would have been easier ( with a fork lift) , but I had just haul out the week before she blew up.

Pulling off your exhaust manifolds would make it easier getting out the door .

How you do it varies on what equipment you or the marina has .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Marina has a fork lift with long forks to launch and lift boats. This might be the easiest way then. Trying to find an engine now for the right cost and see what parts i might be able to salvage off this engine if i can if i go the long block route from michigan motors
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

kallen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:16 pm Had the engines out of my 81 F-32 twice. Didn't have to remove the side glass (door removed). Installed thru the door angled with the transmission attached. Put duct tape on the 2 edges of the door to prevent scratches. The dip stick was removed as it sticks out beside the exhaust manifold. The engines slipped in with no problems.
Which engines does your 81 have? I am looking to pull 270 crusaders and wondering if I can leave the manifolds on.
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Chrysler 318 cid.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

AndyF32 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:21 pm
kallen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:16 pm Had the engines out of my 81 F-32 twice. Didn't have to remove the side glass (door removed). Installed thru the door angled with the transmission attached. Put duct tape on the 2 edges of the door to prevent scratches. The dip stick was removed as it sticks out beside the exhaust manifold. The engines slipped in with no problems.
Which engines does your 81 have? I am looking to pull 270 crusaders and wondering if I can leave the manifolds on.
With the door removed no problem at all . Maybe able to come out with the door in but it would be tight I would measure for sure . But if it was me the door would come off . Every inch helps .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

There's also this approach to pulling an engine..... but I can't say I recommend it!
IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG (113.24 KiB) Viewed 10379 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ouch . Believe it or not that the way its done on some boats , Seen some tugs done that way .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Abandoned by owner. Sold off by marina owner for non-payment of storage fees. Parted out by opportunistic person who took sawz-all to hull to pull engines, fuel tanks, water tank rudders, props and struts, bridge console, railings, navigation lights, etc... Literally, he used a sawz-all to cut around every potentially useful component or fitting or hull section that complicated access to pull everything off. Where every cleat, fairlead, stanchion base, and primary through-hull was, turned into a 6" x 12" hole. But on the plus side for the wrenchers out there... no wrenches or screw drivers were damaged or dirtied in the process!

But having said all that, I do have some other interesting shots showing thickness of the hull layup in the area he cut out. Didn't have calipers or a measuring tape with me but do have shots of hull thickness compared to width of a key...... will post in a new thread if there is sufficient interest.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Hulls are not as thick as most would think
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels