Bottom Paint

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Bottom Paint

Post by The Dog House »

Approximately how much should it cost to apply an epoxy barrier coat and bottom paint (Micron CSC) on a 26 foot boat? Thanks for the help.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Bottom Paint

Post by prowlersfish »

I really can't give you a answer , but was wondering if you where blasting the bottom ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Can't comment on the epoxy barrier, but I can do my F32 with less than a gallon of CSC per coat. Haven't done a full coat for years - think only once since I switched to CSC 10-15 years ago (and more out of vanity than anything else - wanted the bottom to look a more consistent colour -- not that the fish fish give a crap, but marina yard guys do.... ). Otherwise just doing touch ups where needed. When I switched to CSC, did a major strip job first, then put on 1 coat CSC green, then 3 coats black over top. Now if I see green or gel, I give it a splash or two in that spot. Otherwise nothing needed.
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

On our 12 meter the media blasting, epoxy barrier coat, then the bottom paint job, including haul out was around $ 8,000 in here SW Florida.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
davidjohnnn

Post by davidjohnnn »

The cost of bottom painting your boat depends on whether you opt to hire a professional or do it yourself. Doing a DIY painting project will save you some money, but it will cost you time and probably paint job quality. For a professional paint job, the cost ranges anywhere from $15 to $100 per linear foot with the average cost being $15 to $20 per linear foot.
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Is there really a difference if you are in fresh vs salt water as to what product you should use. I boat in fresh water.
F32 Fly 1975
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Yes. You want to use a product that is going to repel the type of fouling you can expect where you are using the boat. Environmental regulations may also limit what you can use (bottom paints used to leach a lot of copper to do the job and eventually got outlawed).