cutting off at idle in gear

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

PLAYMATE

cutting off at idle in gear

Post by PLAYMATE »

Hi, I have a 1977 chrysler 360 in my F-36, start up fine ,after you run at 2800 and gets hot, when you slow down and put in N then put in gear it dies.
New-cap, rotor, wires, coil, ballast resistor, ecm, fuel pump, pcv, fuel/water seperator, rebuilt carb, (DRIVING ME NUTS) cannot figure out why? yes it has 3/4 tank of gas. I NEED A MECHANIC PLEASE!!! EDGEMERE, MD.
HELP!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: cutting off at idle in gear

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like a carb adjustment , likely the mixture is off . Could also have a vacuum leak . Common area is carb base .

BTW what size props are you running now ? I know you had some prop issues .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

ok, Thanks'. going to pull pick up tube out of tank, gremlins are on board!
props are good. 18/19.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If your carb is old, you might have an air leak at the shaft bushing.

The previous owner of our boat was rebuilding the carbs every year and I fought similar problems to yours. After switching to an Edelbrock 1409 carb on my port engine, it has not been a problem. Now, I need to remove the intakes and change to a new gasket/valley cover that blocks off the exhaust passage for the old bimetal choke. Part of my problem was fuel boiling in the float bowls after the engines got hot and then shut off. Without any cool fuel being added, the alcohol in our "wonderful" E10 fuel would start boiling off.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

OK, THE CARB WAS JUST REDONE. SOME ELSE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE INTAKE GASKET BLOCKING OFF THAT PORT ALSO.
BUT I STILL HAVE THE OLD STYLE HEAT SPRING FOR THE CHOKE. GOT CARTER AFB'S.
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

GOT FIRST CAPTAINS SERVICE TO CHECK OUT. LANCE WAS VERY GOOD. STILL HAVE PROBLEM. ??? DON"T NO.
STRANGEST THING I EVER CAME ACROSS. DON"T NO WHAT ELSE TO DO? HELP!!!!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Still sounds like a carb issue internal or adjustment or vac leak at the base . even at the shafts redone or not they are still old carbs with wear.

and NO NEED TO YELL :)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Is it both engines ? If not swap the carbs . If both what conditions ? are you running hard and suddenly slowing down when it happens ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

AS OF NOW ITS NOT BOTH ENGINES. BUT, FIRST CAPTAINS GUY GOT PORT RUNNING GOOD. DONT WANT TO MESS WITH A GOOD THING.
(GREMLINS ARE FUNNY GUYS) FOUND OUT THE BASE OF THE CARB WAS LEAKIN, ADDITIONAL VACUME. GOING TO TRY A THICKER GASKET AND SEAL IT WITH PERMATEX. HOPE IT WILL WORK.
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

I have had the same problem for over 20 years on a 76 F32 with 360 engines. I have put the same Edelbrock on the starboard, to see if it would make a difference. NO difference. I have gone thru the ignition also, and as we type, I have a Pertronics in the mail. I will try anything at this point.
Question?? Do you run with all the fuel tanks open or do you alternate between the forward and aft? I just remembered, that the previous owner ran all tanks open, where I only have been running with two. I will try anything at this point!!
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Playmate, we are in Md, on the magothy river, Cape St. Claire, I never got around to a profile. Bill Coby, before he retired, owned Coby Marine, and was a good Chrysler mechanic. Wish I could find another,lol.
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

I'M TRYING EVERYTHING, SEEMS THE COIL IS HEATING UP AN CUTTING OUT AFTER A GOOD RUN. CHECKING EVERYTHING, DON'T NO Y OR WHAT WOULD CAUSE IT ?
CaptainSteve

Post by CaptainSteve »

I had the same issue on one engine. Would always stall when in gear at idle after it warmed up. I chased the ignition module, resistor pack, coil, plugs. The fix for me was swapping the Carter AFB carb for an Edelbrock 1409. Previous owner wired the choke open on the Carter.. Either was running too rich or the idle circuit needed attention on the AFB. I dont' know. What I do know is that I can confidently pull into my slip without fear of one engine stalling out. The F32 does not have enough rudder to go straight at idle on single engine.
1977 Trojan F32
Hotel California
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

Problem was in the transmission. This problem seems to cleared itself.
Now, same engine will not go over 2100 r's. After hittin 2100 wants to bog down and backfires. ?????
any help is welcomed.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have seen this with distributor that was not advancing. You get to a certain point and the distributor won't advance enough to increase RPMs, but you are still dumping all that extra fuel into the carb. Quick and easy check to grab a timing light and see what advance you are getting.