Temperature gauges

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Targojoe

Temperature gauges

Post by Targojoe »

Hi all...I recently lost the temp gauges both upper and lower helm on the starboard side! Should I be looking for a ground? Is it possible both gauges would go at once? Anything I should be looking for?

Thanks
BradZ
Sporadic User

Re: Temperature gauges

Post by BradZ »

Did you work on the engine recently? I knock my connector off the sending unit just this past weekend. I was changing thermostats out and when I started the engine up I didn't get no reading. But a quick glance showed me my problem. Hooked it up and gauges came to life.
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
Targojoe

Post by Targojoe »

Unfortunately no I didn’t. I did check that connection and it seems to be OK.
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

The gauges are connected so loosing both is what should happen. Check that sending unit connection good. After that you need to check the power supply to the gauges. The sending unit is essentially a ground with variable resistance. The gauge measures the resistance. Try touching the brown wire going to the sending unit to a known good ground. The gauge should jump to the right side (highest degree temp). If not then its a gauge issue. If it does its either the connection at the sending unit or the sending unit.
Targojoe

Post by Targojoe »

It was the connection after all! Grounded it out and the gauge jumped...cleaned the connection and good to go! Thanks for the advice!
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Glad I could help TargoJoe