Trojan F26 Express question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

SteveJB

Trojan F26 Express question

Post by SteveJB »

I am looking at a 1977 model tomorrow. I am trying to find a good family boat that I can also fish from. From what i have read, these boats are for calm water. How true is that? I am on the shore and would be in NY Harbor from where my marina sits. It can get rough at times. Is it a safety issue or just a comfort issue?

This has a Chrysler 318. How do they hold up and how are the transmissions? I am very mechanically capable. I like that there is no out-drive, thinking maintenance will be easier that an I/O. It appears that they made good boats reading this forum. The price is right so I am interested. Your comments are appreciated!

Steve
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Trojan F26 Express question

Post by The Dog House »

The Trojan F26 has 5 degrees of deadrise. Most ocean going boats have 18 to 21 degrees of deadrise. With a relatively flat bottom the F26 is not designed for rough water. I wouldn't use an F26 on plane in waves that are more than 2 feet, but if you are off plane at displacement speed you can probably handle larger waves. I guess it depends how far you are going and how fast you want to get there.

The Chrysler 318 is a good engine. I believe a 1977 F26 has a Velvet drive transmission which is also good. Maintenance of an inboard is 10 times easier than an I/O. The stainless steel and bronze won't corrode like the aluminum of an I/O. Personally, I wouldn't keep an I/O in salt water. The corrosion issues are just too much for an I/O in salt water.

Typical prices for a Trojan F26 are anywhere from $4000 to $6000. If you are looking for a cabin boat for salt water it would be a good choice. Just be careful about conditions and don't try to make it do more than it was designed to do.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
delusional

Post by delusional »

Hello Steve, I have a 1980 f26 with the 228 mercriuser (chevy). I am located on the upper Chesapeake. My experience with this boat is when you have a following sea or if your are being overtakin by a faster or larger vessel, the wake from that other boat can momentarily cause you to lose steerage. When this happens my F26 gives me the impression it is either going to make a "U" turn or take a nose dive right now. It is a very unsettling feeling to say the least. It can also make you or your passengers want to rush to the head for a pants check. I installed a large rear view mirror overhead to stay aware of boats that may be overtaking me. My speed is in the 18 - 20 mph range with the boat trimmed. When leaving my home river there is a lot of weekend boats that kick em real hard as soon as they pass the 6mph buoy and you have to be aware of them, so as not to have an over steering episode as I described. My boat has a small metal extension to the bottom cast into the hull above the rudder. I believe it was supposed to fool the boat into believing it was a longer hull and eliminate the above mentioned characteristic. In other respects it is a good small boat. But in my opinion, not a rough water boat. Good luck with it, Steve. Ted
SteveJB

Post by SteveJB »

Thank you. I am hopefully looking at it this weekend.

Sounds like a nice boat once you get used to its handling characteristics.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Did you look at the boat? What did you think?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

When I bought my 1976 F26 I knew nothing about boats. Had never even piloted one in my life. I bought it in Long Beach, CA and had to move it to Marina del Rey, CA (Los Angeles) the next day because the slip lease was up. I did so, accidentally, during a small craft advisory warning. I had no idea there was one in effect and even if I did I would have had no idea what it meant at that time. When I left the Long Beach marina I do remember wondering why I was the only boat in the water except for the tankers off in the distance.

I soon figured out why. :shock:

I was in gnarly following seas and as member 'Delusional' described, the boat would turn almost completely sideways on top of the wave crest. Terrifying. Combining this and the sea sickness starting to come on I remember thinking to myself, "Holy ***, I just bought a boat... and I might hate boating." :lol:

3 and 1/2 grueling, white knuckle hours later the Pacific magically calmed and I had dolphins swimming and jumping along side of me as I cruised to my home destination. I fell in love with the entirety of (calm water) boating then and there. Looking back on it I figure the dolphins were celebrating some type of a 'right of passage' that I had just completed. :D

Sadly, I read the next day that 2, what I assume were experienced sailors died that same day in the conditions I was in. Seeing that really hit home about just how dangerous the conditions were. (And the magnitude of incompetence I had displayed for doing this.)

So, I piloted my F26 with 0 knowledge of boat handling during a small craft advisory warning in the Pacific Ocean. It gets my lifetime stamp of approval for this. I love this boat. That being said I learned my lesson and I do not go out in anything over 3ft. 2ft is about where my level of comfort starts to get exercised. If you're looking for a wave cutter this is not the boat for you. If you want anything else other than a cutter... this is the boat for you.

-Chilly
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976