Mounting a handle on F32 transom.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mrjake56

Mounting a handle on F32 transom.

Post by mrjake56 »

After falling off the dock at the marina, I realize the need to add a handle on the transom of our 1980 F32 Sedan. When I tried to climb out of the water using the swim ladder in wet blue jeans there was nothing to grab when I reached the top of the ladder.

I have a handle to install, but I’m not sure how to mount it on the transom. I believe there is a gap between the two layers.

How do I get enough support when drilling through two layers of transom?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Mounting a handle on F32 transom.

Post by prowlersfish »

There is a gap that varies depending exactly where . you could use marine toggle bolts . If they gaps not too big you could drill fill with thicken epoxy and re-drill .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mrjake56

Post by mrjake56 »

Thanks prowlersfish. The swim ladder is near the starboard end of the swim platform. I guess I’ll just need to drill a hole to see how big the gap is. I have seen step on other F32 transoms. Is the transom thick enough to support a load like that? I’ll use backing plates on the inside.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

mrjake56 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:55 pm Thanks prowlersfish. The swim ladder is near the starboard end of the swim platform. I guess I’ll just need to drill a hole to see how big the gap is. I have seen step on other F32 transoms. Is the transom thick enough to support a load like that? I’ll use backing plates on the inside.
Should be no issue supporting the handle . Not sure what you mean by ""I have seen step on other F32 transoms. Is the transom thick enough to support a load like that? ""
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

mrjake56 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:55 pm Thanks prowlersfish. The swim ladder is near the starboard end of the swim platform. I guess I’ll just need to drill a hole to see how big the gap is. I have seen step on other F32 transoms. Is the transom thick enough to support a load like that? I’ll use backing plates on the inside.
Another idea, drill a large hole to fit one of the nice white inspection covers, then you will have access the back of the fasteners for the handle whenever you want.