water hose location on Sherwood double pocket pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Footeloose

water hose location on Sherwood double pocket pump

Post by Footeloose »

Hi all, Last fall I acquired a 1972 F36, 440 engines. The boat was on the hard 3 yrs. & I was permitted to start the engines, but only ran them briefly. This spring before launch I installed new impellers in both dbl. pocket Sherwood raw water pumps, raw water cooled. This spring I thought the engines were running a bit rough, so I did a compression test on the port, the roughest running. One cylinder had 0 compression, so i pulled the heads & a Mopar guy did the valve job. Before the valve job, it heated up, & now it's back running much better, but still heats up after running a while at the dock. The boat has lived on Lake Ontario, so always in fresh water. I backflushed the engine thru the hoses with a garden hose, & it seemed to flow properly, no sign of any impeller remnants from either oil cooler. Now i'm wondering if the hoses are improperly connected at the raw water pump. I tried to reinstall them the same as when I removed them, but not sure they were correct when I got the boat. Can one of you please describe the real meaning of the embossed letters on the pump. I assume these have all to do with the water intake & flow of the water through the engine, so to be sure of the attachments would guarantee that question. I appreciate the forum, & any & all help y'all can give. Thanks so much, Dave Foote, aka footeloose.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: water hose location on Sherwood double pocket pump

Post by prowlersfish »

going to post diagram on your other thread
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D