Farewell To A Beautiful Lady

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Farewell To A Beautiful Lady

Post by Big D »

Well, it’s a bitter sweet time for me; the old girl and I have parted ways. And while it chokes me up, she has moved on to a new owner whom I know will look after her. He has some ambitious plans for her that I'm pleased with and happy that she will experience new ventures.

I loved my woodie, she got many stares and generated a lot of interest everywhere we went. She was the catalyst of many fond memories that we’ll have forever. We all know how much work is involved in maintaining a wooden boat but I have to tell ya, it was all worth it. The comments alone from passers by gave me great pride and motivated me to carry on the maintenance battle. Wouldn’t have traded the experience and pride I felt for anything in the world, you just can’t put a price on that.

In the last couple of years, we’ve been so busy and sadly haven’t been able to visit or get out on her as much, and as a result she was looking lonely and dirty. It was breaking my heart so we took a good long look deep inside our thoughts and while we’ll miss her dearly, we feel it’s what’s best for her at this time. Never thought I'd have to deal with this but here we are, it was a very tough decision but the best for her I think.

I do have a “Trojan” plan for the future when life settles down, I just don’t know how long it will take me to get there. In the mean time, I’m not going anywhere. You’re all a great bunch here and while my contributions have slowed down, I’m still popping in every day and taking in a wealth of knowledge from everyone.

Farewell my lady, we wish you calm seas and beautiful sunsets ahead. We’ll miss you.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Farewell To A Beautiful Lady

Post by captainmaniac »

I am sorry to hear the news, but I get it - sometimes it's just the right thing to do. I went through the same thing when it was time to give up my father's old '69 28' Sea Skiff, that he had for almost 25 years.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Glad to hear you're sticking around. It's difficult to let go, but at least you know she'll continue on with her new owner.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D , I sorry you had to let her go . But you got to do what you have to do . Glad your not going anywhere . Your boat/boating knowledge is amazing and your posts are always right on .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

It's folks like you that make this FORUM a tremendous source of support for our orphaned BRAND.

Hope to see you continue to share your knowledge here with us all.

Wondering what kind of vessel you will choose next……

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Do stick around Big D. You are a valuable asset.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Supposedly the two happiest days of a " boaters" life is the day we buy'em and the day we sell'em......... unless we love them.

Well Big D - I am feeling your pain. I suppose we won't be missing you because you'll still be around, which is great but I'll miss those Big Blue 440's.

You have always been one of the "Go to" guys on this Forum. Appreciate you staying.

I'll always remember you being very patient and explaining a point to a very argumentive new boater who was disagreeing with you about some vacuflush detail.............. when I would have finally lost my mind on the guy.

Unlike me, your purchaser will properly care for your wooden beauty. My buyer was a real character who, for a couple of seasons drove my former Tricabin around the lake like it was a ski boat, never cleaned it and was finally asked to leave the marina. He sold the boat to someone who docked it beside a boat in Manotick that caught fire and was severely damaged. Someone purchased it from the insurance company and who knows what happened next.

I don't know how many years you owned that girl but you are definitely what is defined as a "boater" and I'm sure you'll settle in and get something "wet" in the not too distant future.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Thanks guys. Really missing her. I suppose I should be happy that it's close to the end of the season here and that it should ease my pain but the off season was when I got excited about going through my intentions for upgrades for the following season, the boat show, boat themed parties with friends, etc. Sitting here twiddling my thumbs thinking about what to do for the winter. Will probably end up in a few marinas in Florida :wink:
RonW

Post by RonW »

Not many of those still around.
In July, I was anchored in Burlington Bay (Hamilton Harbour) since RHYC was full, and used my dingy to visit Macassa Bay Yacht Club. Got talking to a (relatively) young couple that just bought a 69 wooden Trojan. They were thrilled with it and plan to live aboard. I warned them about the amount of upkeep, and they assured me that they were up to it. They plan to live aboard all year.
I was really happy to see that this beautiful boat will be taken care of.
Any chance that this was your boat ?

Ron
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

RonW wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm Not many of those still around.
In July, I was anchored in Burlington Bay (Hamilton Harbour) since RHYC was full, and used my dingy to visit Macassa Bay Yacht Club. Got talking to a (relatively) young couple that just bought a 69 wooden Trojan. They were thrilled with it and plan to live aboard. I warned them about the amount of upkeep, and they assured me that they were up to it. They plan to live aboard all year.
I was really happy to see that this beautiful boat will be taken care of.
Any chance that this was your boat ?

Ron
I believe you are probably talking about Gemini - a very interesting conversion.
Gemini.JPG
Gemini.JPG (90.76 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I've seen that boat before. Nope, that wasn't my old girl.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm I've seen that boat before. Nope, that wasn't my old girl.
Agreed it's not you, but think it is the boat RonW talked about at MBYC.

I know the old 36 (sedan was it?) looks like, and absolutely love it. The guy who sold my father his boat showed up at the marina a few years later with a late 60's 36' as well and I drooled. There was a guy not too far away who put something like $100K into his, turning bridge into extended hardtop, commercial inflatable life raft, new mast with radar and all electronics he could, repowered with diesels, Stidd seats at the lower station, etc... Lady J was the name of the boat and it spent a few year in Bronte Outer Harbour. Pretty sure he has sold the boat so not sure where it is now.

Love the 36 and I'm sure yours would have been one of the best on the water. But also think this conversion of a 30 (I think) was freakin' incredible! It is just such a unique thing, yet done in such a way that it looks like Trojan would have done it at the time if they had ever produced one. Never saw the interior, but the exterior - WOW!