fuel water separators

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dagen
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

fuel water separators

Post by dagen »

I would like to replace the original fuel water separators on my 1978 F30 with twin 318's. Which brands and models would you recommend, and is this a DIY project? They are currently plumbed with copper, would replacements mean reworking the copper, or going to gas hose. Thanks for any help and advice, especially from anyone who has already done this.

Brian
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: fuel water separators

Post by prowlersfish »

I like the SIERRA ones that use the merc type filters also Racors Just no clear bowls on gas inboards
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Racors have a drain valve to let you check for water in the gas, so would be my choice.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The spin-on filters and Racors both have their pros and cons. The spin-ons are easier to replace and can be found at just about any marine retailer or marina. You can't just remove a plug to check for water but if you replace them after every season, you should be okay unless you have a big problem with water in your fuel. The Racor is a better filter IMO. It does allow for draining water in the bottom of the bowl, but it's a two step process to replace the element. Using Racor's special tool makes it much easier to remove the lower housing. Not every retailer/marina will carry the Racors as part of regular inventory, but just about all of them will have the Mercs.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

What's wrong with the original fuel/water separators? They have a drain plug in the bottom to drain the water, they are approved for the engine bay and the filters are like 20 bucks. The copper lines are the safest lines you could have in your boat in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_5715.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG (85.32 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
IMG_5714.JPG
IMG_5714.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG (71.2 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Nothing wrong with the original filter. If you're using blended fuel though, I would keep a close eye on the condition of the inside of the bowl, it's likely to corrode in ethanol blended fuels. That's one of the pros of the throwaway spin-ons, you don't have to worry about that particular piece of hardware in the fuel delivery system. Copper lines are great but again with today's blended fuels there are concerns with corrosion for any metal in the system that wasn't specifically designed to operate in an alcohol environment. That's why regular plumbing antifreeze will warn you not to use it in metal pipes and is why you shouldn't use it to winterize your engines or anything else IMO, it should be the stuff that is specifically designed for both as it has way less alcohol but that's another topic/thread.
dagen wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:22 pm....They are currently plumbed with copper, would replacements mean reworking the copper, or going to gas hose......
Nothing special about the new housings, you should be able to use your current hardware and pipe. Hopefully the fittings in your current filter housings will fit the new ones. If they don't, they're not that hard to find.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Good to know BigD thanks for the info. I didn't realize the ethanol would affect the gas lines and filters. Just thought it was the old galvanized tanks and fill pipe/hoses. I run strictly non ethanol fuel so maybe that's why everything is still ok. Went thru all the filters this past summer and everything I took out looked pretty darn clean. Nothing at all picked up at the carb filters, they were spotless.
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio