LOOKING FOR HELP 5.7 CRUSADER EXHAUST MANIFOLD WOES

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Medic4U

LOOKING FOR HELP 5.7 CRUSADER EXHAUST MANIFOLD WOES

Post by Medic4U »

I purchased an '82 Trojan 36' Tri-Cabin in March. All seemed decent. She ran really good, although warranty went from complete to "she will start & float." Being a lifetime boater, and engines were solid, and she floated, and ran true, for the price, I feel I got a fair deal, and with super low hours(643 on engines & 94 on 6.5 KW Onan Gen set) a few issues would not make it a bad deal anyway...

Rudders did not work, but got them working, hot water heater either rusted out, or froze one winter, as it is shot. Again, no big deal, will handle that this winter. Going to replace heads with ones with built in Macerator pumps, as the originals work, but just don’t like having ‘holding tanks under each head, and a black tank too. But that’s a personal preference, not a defect… LOTS OF WATER LEAKS NEAR & AROUND WINDOWS. Those will be a challenge this winter, but we'll get them handled, with some seal & fiberglass work.

My wife and the CO meter kept smelling exhaust on and off all summer. Come time to winterize this past week, ALL FOUR EXHAUST MANIFOLDS ON THE CRUSADER 5.7 ENGINES ARE CRACKED THEY WERE PAINTED TO HIDE THE CRACKS! NOT GOING TO DWELL ON GOING BACK ON DEALER (SKIPPER BUDS) OR OWNER, JUST MOVING FORWARD.

LOOKING FOR PAIR OF TWO LEFTS & TWO RIGHT 5.7 '82 EXHAUST MANIFOLDS. PLEASE ADVISE IF CAN HELP. CONSIDERING WELDING/BRAZING HAVE HEARD MIXED RESULTS. WILLING TO LISTED TO SUGGESTIONS. WILL OWN BOAT FOR 4-5 YEARS, SO DO NOT WANT TO POUR TONS OF MONEY INTO IT, BUT WILL NOT DO HALF-ASSED JOBS. WILL FIX IT RIGHT, WITH USED PARTS. THANKS
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: LOOKING FOR HELP 5.7 CRUSADER EXHAUST MANIFOLD WOES

Post by Moderator »

I moved your post to the boat section ,you will get more traffic . You said you had cracks and they where leaking exhaust ? That s very rare on marine engines . Normally when you hear about marine manifolds cracking its from freezing . And they leaks water not exhaust .

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

We have the exhaust manifolds for the crusader 350 and all Crusader engines.

Just give us a call.

Manifolds risers and elbows are not something you want to try and fix.

If they are cracked they may have not been winterized correctly.

Bob Cushman
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Strange all 4 leaking exhaust . Any photos ? Be carful with used exhaust , almost every time I see used exhaust for sale its junk . Why would it be removed if it was good ? Go with new and be sure , saving a buck on used could cost you a engine .

BTW , you said the steering was fixed , what was it ? The post on it was never up dated . Thanks it can help somebody else .

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Where are they cracked ? Replacement is the only fix . It will be hard to find used in good shape unless someone blows a engine .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D