1974 F30 EXPRESS PORT ENGINE DIFFICULTY

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

don

1974 F30 EXPRESS PORT ENGINE DIFFICULTY

Post by don »

I`m a new owner of this boat and the first few voyages were fine. Now the port engine ( LM 318 ) revs up fine in neutral but under load will not exceed 2000 rpm. The boat is now blocked for winter storage and I can see there were lots of weeds on the prop, but no more than were on the starboard side which runs fine. I removed the air breathers before my last trip and soaked them in gasoline and blew them out with an air hose . This made no difference. Any suggestions?
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

One possibility is the spark advance, which is controlled by centrifugal weights balanced by a pair of springs inside the distributor. These are succeptible to corrosion. As the rpm increases, the weights rotate against the springs advancing the spark. You can test the advance by putting a timing light on the engine and reving in Neutral. The spark should advance about 25 degrees from idle to 2500 rpm. The advance is independent of load. It only depends on rpm. If the advance looks jittery as the engine revs, or only moves a few degrees then take the distributor to an ignition shop where it can be re-curved for a modest price (maybe $60). Other possiblities include carburetor issues, low compression, weak spark (wires, coil or distributor). The discussion board at http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi is an excellent place to get help from people more experienced than me on this kind of issue. (it seems to be offline tonight for some reason, but it should be back soon)
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
don

Post by don »

Thanks once again Chucka. Your suggestions and references are very much appreciated.
don
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

One more quick obvious thing to check is the fuel separator.
Good Luck,
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI