Fresh water tank on a 89 10 meter mid-cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

33ftfrolic

Fresh water tank on a 89 10 meter mid-cabin

Post by 33ftfrolic »

Can any one out there tell me how to access the fresh water on a 1989 10 meter mid-cabin?
I'm pretty sure there is a leak out the out line but I cannot get to it. Any help would be much apericiated
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

I don't know about the mid cabin, but in our flybridge/aft cabin, the tank is built in under the floor in the galley and the water line goes aft to the fresh water pump. There are hatches under our carpet to access the lines.
Good luck.
Wes
33ftfrolic

Post by 33ftfrolic »

Wes,

The tank is in the sole of the galley/salon on the 10 meter mid-cabin, but the lines run forward to the pump.
I can get to the pump, and the the top of the tank through httches, but I'm not sure if the out line to the pump is on the top, or bottom of the tank.
The real problem I'm having is when I put water into the tank, and then run the pump to pressureize the system the fresh water is then deposited into the forward belige.

Very frustratign...
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

I would suggest that the inlet is near the top of the tank and the outlet at the bottom to facilitate the flow. If you can reach the bottom line, and see where it goes to the water pump, I would tape, or connect in some way, a new hose to one end and pull it through. When the new hose is connected if you still have a leak you have bigger problems.
Wes
860-667-1541
Obaby

11 meter

Post by Obaby »

Tank on the 11 meter is in Galley also, Pump mounted on top of tank (input comes from front base of tank) .

Note 1: my has a in-line strainer between the tank and pump input.

Note 2: the fresh water expansion tank pressure is 21Lbs (needs to match the pumps cut-off pressure)

Good Luck ...
Patrick
Trojan 11 Meter International (87)
New Twin MP 502's 8.2
Westerbeke 5KW
Oceanside Harbor San Diego
33ftfrolic

Post by 33ftfrolic »

Wes,

That's my problem I do not know how to get to the bottom of the tank without chopping a large hole in the sole. I can't understand why it would be made this way. Which is why I'm asking I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

Obaby,
I'm not sure what you are trying to say...Are you suggesting that the strainer may be leaking?

And I don't have an expansion tank. The pump draws from the tank to puressurize the fresh water lines in the boat. And that works, i.e. the pump will run until there is sufficent pressure then it stops. As soon as the leaking has caused a large enough puressure drop in the system pump will then run again. This will continue until the tank is completely emptied into the forward belige.
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Mine isn't an expansion tank either. I'm going to be at the boat tomorrow and I'll shoot some pics of our setup. If you'll send me an e-mail address I'll send them to you tomorrow late afternoon. We have one of the unusual boats in that Trojan only made around 10 of our model. There are 2 cutouts in the galley floor, one to the top of the tank and the other to the midship bilge pump and hoses to the water tank.
My e-mail address is DiLuna@aol.com
Wes
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

10 Meter Express Cruiser 1983 here not a mid cabin model.

The water tank here is probably the same as WES's. It's located under the storage locker under the carpet in the salon floor.

The strainer is a good idea, and if you have one you need to check it.

That water IS getting out of that tank from SOMEWHERE you have to trace it.

Might be a good idea to empty the tank and dry that bilge COMPLETELY.

Then fill the tank,leaving the pump OFF, hell DISCONNECT IT to be safe.

CHeck that bilge for water and use a teloscopic inspection mirror to see EVERYEHERE.

If htat shows nothing, pressurize the system and start looking again with the mirror.You might pressurize the system and then turn the motor OFF to force that leak into a slow mode.

Trace the hoses to thr tankand from the tank.

Sometimes water can run down the outside of a hose where you can't see it.

Try wiping your hoses down while they're under pressure with a DRY RAG. Do it a small section at a time and see if something comes up wet.

Let us all know what happens.

RWS
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Hi Wes,
Nice talking with you again. I just had to remove the tank in my 1987 10 meter express mid cabin. The tank on my boat was located about 6 inches aft of the bulkhed, the water pickup was located at the very bottom of the tank about 1 inch up from where the tank would touch the keel and came froward through the bulkhead to the pump. the fill and vent are on top slightly towards the galley. the top of the tank is screwed on forward and aft but it glassed directley to the port and stbd stringers. I had to cut my tank apart to remove it. It was built like a "tank" (pun intended!) It was bedded in resin to the hull, the sided were cored with 3/4 plywood and the top was 2 layers of 3/4 plywood with a really nice baffel built into the lid. the interior was gelcoat that looked as nice as the hull.
If you cut a small opening (6x6) directly aft of the bulkhead in line with the keel you should be able to replace your supply hose. you may be able to cut the bulkhead opening alittle larger and access it from below if you have a finished floor in the saloon If the fitting is leaking contact me and I'll talk you through what to expect to fix it.
I'm not sure if this info will help with your style hull but it sounds like it may be somewhat similar.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Wes,
Heres some pics of my cut up tank. You can see the hole from the water pick up in the 1st pic
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... CT0351.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... CT0350.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... CT0349.jpg

Heres a pic showing the bottom of the tank, looking forward, you can see the bulkhead just forward the tank.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... CT0341.jpg
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the info but 33fyfrolic was the one with the problem. Our pump and lines are much easier to get to than yours is. Thank goodness. Have a great day.
Wes
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Sorry Wes,
Thats what happens when I'm on the computer late after a hard days work.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

That's quite alright Todd. We're here to help and be helped by one and all in all categories. Don't work too hard. Save some energy for your water beauty.

Wes
33ftfrolic

Post by 33ftfrolic »

Hi yorklyn,

Thank you for your discription. What you had to do is what I want to avoid. Strength is one thing but this is a bad design.
One thing I do not have any leaking if I do not run the pump. In other words I can fill the tank and all ok. As soon as I run the pump amd pressureize the system water.
If I cut a hole in the aft bulkhead, i.e. the stepdown into the aft abbin area, can i reach the out line fitting?

Thank for your help.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

You will not be able to get to it through the aftcabin. That is the rear of the tank. the supply is on the side towards the bow. If you just have carpet on the floor you can cut a small access hole and reach the supply fitting and hose. You should have a drain hole at the keel on the structual bulkhead in front of the tank. Stick a tape measure through this hole until it touches the tank and get a measurement. The bulkhead is two layers of 3/4 plywwod with about 1/4 inch of fiberglass on both sides and should be about 2 inches thick. so if you drill a hole about 1 1/2 inchs aft of the bulkhead you should be able to fit a large enough hole to work through. you should be fine using a jig saw as the tank sits about 2 inches below the floor and should be 7 or 8 inches back from that bulkhead.
Does your water pump cycle on and off when no faucets are open? If so I would start checking all of the water line fittings for leaks. There are a good number of fittings below the bottom shelf in the cabinet behind the head. I had to address a few leaks in that location when I got my boat. if you get a leak there if will drain directly in that bilge area. Its real tight in that cabinet but with a little effort and a few choice 4 letter words you can access them. If you need to replace any fittings or waterlines you can purchase everything you need at lowes. Their nothing but PEX lines and fittings.
Its still a good Idea to replace the hose from the tank to the water pump as it sits directly in the bilge and tends to absorb odors over the years.

Good Luck
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea