What’s wrong with this picture?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: What’s wrong with this picture?

Post by WayWeGo »

Here are photos of our trim tabs on a '75 F-36. As I recall, our boat is about the same year as Oil and Water's was.

And if you zoom in, you will be able to see that the prop nuts are backwards. That is the way we got the boat and I have not had a reason to take them off, but when I do, they will be installed correctly.
20160601_183444.jpg
20160601_183444.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
20160620_172154.jpg
20160620_172154.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Briank117

Post by Briank117 »

WayWeGo,

Are your swim platform brace arms just regular bolted stainless tubing? Or welded?
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Its all regular stainless tubing. I suspect it did not come from the factory, but not sure.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 pm Here are photos of our trim tabs on a '75 F-36. As I recall, our boat is about the same year as Oil and Water's was.

And if you zoom in, you will be able to see that the prop nuts are backwards. That is the way we got the boat and I have not had a reason to take them off, but when I do, they will be installed correctly.
I am going to recheck with Bob and John on the tabs
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Briank117 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:48 pm Anything look off here?
Maybe the pic angle, but to me the rudders seem much larger than what we had on our 78 F32, which is a good thing , and our tabs were mounted on the transom like instatrim directions.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

UPDATE
The recessed trim tabs on WAYWEGO's boat and The F36 photo I posted were indeed Trojan factory . The early ones were billed as a "SportFish" . You will notice beside the cylinder the tabs a recessed in the bottom also . I wish mine were like that .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am .....Prop nuts by the book thin nut first then the thick nut .....
No ya did it, you went and opened up a can of worms again:wink:
Some will argue, but yes, thin (jam) nut against the prop, then the thick nut last. The proper way to install a prop is to slide the prop on, use the thick nut first and tighten it to set the prop in place as you should not use the jam (thin) nut to tighten the prop, then remove the thick nut and install the jam nut, tighten, then finish by tightening the thick nut onto the jam nut. In the end, you're left with the thin jam nut "jammed" against the hardware by the thick nut, that's how a jam nut is designed to work. Often when props loosen off, it's likely due to an impact, vibration, or the nuts aren't installed properly. And yes, if you look at all the boats in a marina, it's common to see 98% of them with the thick nut against the prop. :roll:

Usually when a hull is designed to accommodate mounting trim tabs on the bottom of the hull, the mold incorporates an indent for the tab hinge to be mounted in as seen in the above photo.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am
prowlersfish wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am .....Prop nuts by the book thin nut first then the thick nut .....
Some will argue, but yes, thin (jam) nut against the prop, then the thick nut last. The proper way to install a prop is to slide the prop on, use the thick nut first and tighten it to set the prop in place as you should not use the jam (thin) nut to tighten the prop, then remove the thick nut and install the jam nut, tighten, then finish by tightening the thick nut onto the jam nut. In the end, you're left with the thin jam nut "jammed" against the hardware by the thick nut, that's how a jam nut is designed to work. Often when props loosen off, it's likely due to an impact, vibration, or the nuts aren't installed properly. And yes, if you look at all the boats in a marina, it's common to see 98% of them with the thick nut against the prop. :roll:

Usually when a hull is designed to accommodate mounting trim tabs on the bottom of the hull, the mold incorporates an indent for the tab hinge to be mounted in as seen in the above photo.
Agreed great info as always . I will add make sure the key is not to far up the shaft . Good idea to fit the prop with out the key to see how far up the shaft it goes ,mark it. then make sure it goes on the same with the key . Then install as Big D said .

Can of worms ? Its what I do :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Interesting. The tabs on my F-32 are mounted on the bottom. Original as far as I know. Boat Leveler '82 Hmmm..
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Big D wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am

I'll take "The way the US navy does it" for $1000 Alex.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/nstm/ch075.pdf
See page 75-96 or so....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

That’s a great resource and a perfect explanation of why you are supposed to end up with the small jam nut first followed by the larger main nut.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year