1975 F36 Sportfisher Rudder Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

edrhathaway

1975 F36 Sportfisher Rudder Question

Post by edrhathaway »

Hi all,

I have an F36 that I need to remove the rudders. It appears that if I disconnect the rudder from the rudder arm at the top, lossen the flax nut, the rudder will drop out. Is this true?

Is there some type of bearing at the bottom of this tube to support the stresses on the rudder? Or is it simply a bar inside a tube scenario?

Are their any diagrams that anyone has found about how these work?

Thanks,
Ed
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Ed,

Below is a scan of the rudder stuffing box diagram from my 1975 Trojan F-26 Owner's manual. Yours is probably the same, although I guess a larger shaft diameter. One of the difficult parts for me to remove was the roll pin that goes through the shaft & safety collar. I used a drift pin and a hammer to tap it out. It had been there a long time and didn't want to come out easily. My steering was very stiff when I initially bought the boat and it turned out the rudder stuffing box was slightly out of round, making it very difficult to slide out the shaft once the tiller arm and collar were disconnected. I jury rigged a shaft puller and had to work it out gradually.

I had a machinist hone a few thousanths of an inch off the the stuffing box inner diameter which solved the problem, although last spring I pulled out the original rudder and swapped the whole set up for a larger rudder (and larger diameter stuffing box) to get better tracking stability.

I describe the original Trojan F-26 rudder as a ski boat rudder.

One other thing to be aware of. When you drop down the rudder, unless your boat is blocked pretty high up, you might not be able to drop the rudder far enough down to get it out of the stuffing box. Since my boat is in my backyard (on my lawn), I dug a hole about a foot deep in the ground below the rudder which at might not be an option, but sometimes, its easier to lower the ground than to raise the boat.
Good Luck!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
rossjo
Ultimate User

F36 rudder same a F32?

Post by rossjo »

This rudder setup looks similar to my F32's rudder. Is it indeed the same?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17