engine synchronization gauge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lucky7

engine synchronization gauge

Post by Lucky7 »

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1989 10.8M Trojan International. The VDO Engine Synchronization Gauge sticks, meaning it works some of the time. But at times it looks wrong and you have to "knock" on the gauge to make it work again.

I have checked all the connections on the back of the gauge and they appear good and tight. I am assuming this is a problem internally within the gauge itself. I can not find a VDO replacement gauge online. I don't see any for sale at Beacon Marine. Does anyone have advice on how to clean or fix this gauge?

Thanks,
Ron
1989 Trojan 10.8M International
Twin 454 Crusaders
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: engine synchronization gauge

Post by WayWeGo »

Beacon Marine often has items that are not on the website. You might want to give Bob a call at 609-713-4602.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Lucky7 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 am Hello Everyone,

I have a 1989 10.8M Trojan International. The VDO Engine Synchronization Gauge sticks, meaning it works some of the time. But at times it looks wrong and you have to "knock" on the gauge to make it work again.

I have checked all the connections on the back of the gauge and they appear good and tight. I am assuming this is a problem internally within the gauge itself. I can not find a VDO replacement gauge online. I don't see any for sale at Beacon Marine. Does anyone have advice on how to clean or fix this gauge?

Thanks,
Ron

I would give Bob a call for sure.

I had a similar issue with my 89 10 meter. I'm sure the gauges are the same. They use a jumper from the tachs to the sync gauge. Make sure you check those connections really well and consider replacing them. I replaced a tach and it still has issues.My next course of action is the wiring itself.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

What's the big issue. I removed mine on my F32. When do we ever run at the same RPM. In a 10km cross wind you have to adjust the RPM on each engine to maintain the same heading for any length of time. Yes/No. Easier than trying to adjust the rudders in my view.
F32 Fly 1975
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

OK, so not a solution to the synchro issue per se. Rather, my solution when my tachs went. I bought a pair of these, and ditched the idiot synchro light that I formerly had. Only issue is that they are a bit bright at night. I will eventually dim them, but for now I just throw my hat over them (it being dark then and all....).

My mechanic freaked when he saw them -- they indicate in units of 1 RPM, and they show every change in RPM as it happens, not the damped analog RPM that everyone is used to. He said engines don't change RPM that fast. I told him of course they do, he has just never seen the data. The point is, I use these to synchronize the engines by setting the actual RPM to match. It is a great lesson in using your ear to tune too. Being off 30 RPM when you can measure individual RPM, you will hear a throb every 2 seconds. A real-life mechanical beat frequency oscillator!*

https://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Digital-S ... SwlyVeDXDj

*Get your inner nerd on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_frequency_oscillator
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 »

Great advice from everyone. I appreciate it.

Ron
1989 Trojan 10.8M International
Twin 454 Crusaders
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

I spoke to Bob, I might have the one you're looking for NIB.
PM me.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP