36 tri-cabin fuel tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Rhino

36 tri-cabin fuel tanks

Post by Rhino »

Rhino here, I'm new to the forum and its a pleasure to meet all of you! My wife and I are the proud owners of a 1974 36 Tri Cabin. But I have a question about the fuel and water tanks. Which one is the water tank ? If I could get in the bilge, I may be able to figure it out. If someone could help me out I would be much appreciative.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 36 tri-cabin fuel tanks

Post by prowlersfish »

Are you trying to ID the fill or the tanks ? (fillers are normally labeled ) Hopefully some one with the rear engine tri will chime in . later mid engine tri's would be different . You can also get a owners manual from Beacon marine .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
waw1949

tri cabin

Post by waw1949 »

I remember the aft cabin as having the gas tank under the bed. starboard side had 4 large mirror doors. inside was a cedar lined hanging closet some draws and shelving. at the foot of the bed was an entertainment system...tv radio. port side had a upper cabinet with strip lights a counter top and a swivel stool. there was a bath with shower and toilet and tile floor. the salon had a cabinet with pop up tv. forward was a washer and dryer and full size fridge. the fly bridge had an ice maker sink and "bar". haven't seen any pix that match.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: tri cabin

Post by prowlersfish »

waw1949 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm I remember the aft cabin as having the gas tank under the bed. starboard side had 4 large mirror doors. inside was a cedar lined hanging closet some draws and shelving. at the foot of the bed was an entertainment system...tv radio. port side had a upper cabinet with strip lights a counter top and a swivel stool. there was a bath with shower and toilet and tile floor. the salon had a cabinet with pop up tv. forward was a washer and dryer and full size fridge. the fly bridge had an ice maker sink and "bar". haven't seen any pix that match.
Was it a Tri-cabin ? What year ? Rhino's Tri cabin would have the engines under the rear bunks (beds)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Yes, engines under twin beds, and tanks under salon floor. I need to access everything from a very small space or cut out the floor. I would rather not cut.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Rhino,

I owned a 1974 Tricabin for 16 years before buying my current Trojan.

As you already know, the two gas tanks are located directly under the salon floor. The fresh water tank is almost invisible when you hop down into the bilge, especially if you have a genny located there as well. But having said that, the water tank itself is located against the outside wall of the bilge on the starboard side on the "other side" of that starboard gas tank.

It's amazing what you can do with tricabins. I stopped using my stock water tank but left it there. Too difficult to remove. I installed a new 20 gallon plastic water tank in that space directly in front of the starboard-side gas tank. It's big enough. Then I installed an air conditioner in the storage space locker directly across from the door to the head. It's plenty big enough for a 10,000 btu unit.

I also installed a vacuflush system and placed the 20 gallon plastic holding tank in front of the port gas tank, almost against the partition for the head. Not as big a holding tank as I would have liked but served it's purpose and allowed me to get rid of the stock toilets.

Hope this helps

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

By the way, Rhino - In regard to the steps leading up from the rear bedroom to the salon, you can pull down the top step (it's riser is hinged) in order to get access to the starboard side gas tank level sensor. (You'll also notice the fresh water tank, I believe) On the port side, you can look under the galley sink on the floor of the cupboard. There you'll find a trap door of sorts where you can access the gas tank level sensor for the port tank. Just sayin'.....
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Rhino, you may have already learned this, but Beacon Marine can supply the original documentation package for your boat that has lots of great info on how it left the factory, including the wiring diagrams. It is well worth the money.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2695
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Ok, when I raise the generator cover, which is the salon floor, and look to starboard and port I have two galvanized barrel type tanks on both sides. Approximately forty to fifty gallon each. Four tanks total. There is no space forward of either of the two forward tanks. I will look for the hinged step and access panel under the galley sink tomorrow. Another thing that seems really weird to me is that the previous owner has put a small ten gallon shop type air compressor in the bilge forward of the generator. A red rubber air hose has been run from it to the control panel at the helm. What in the world is it about? The only explanation I can come up with is that another hose was connected to it, and was used to blow the boat off or to inflate large inflatables. Any other ideas? You guys are a huge help to me! Otherwise I wouldn't have a clue about what I'm doing! Thanks! And keep the info rolling in.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

The compressor and hose was probably for an air horn.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm The compressor and hose was probably for an air horn.
This ^^
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

As stated in the other posts the fresh water tank is on starboard side directly under the AC / DC panel and is a fiberglass tank which is fiberglassed to the Hull. It has a plywood top. The whole salon floor can be removed.

The owners manual for your Tri Cabin comes with the electrical drawing, the original invoice and around 100 pages of information on each system of the boat.

Here is the link to the Owners Manual
We would need your Hull number to make one for you.
Your Hull number is on a aluminum plate by the AC / DC panel

https://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/ind ... cts_id=615
Attachments
E749C2CF-15D2-4A27-A984-9FE68266A04D.jpeg
E749C2CF-15D2-4A27-A984-9FE68266A04D.jpeg (154.27 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Dear Rhino,

Don't know what the second tank on the port side is for. I didn't have a second tank of the left side in my 1974 Tricabin. So just like you, that tank's a mystery to me. :)

Next time your on your new boat, please remove the salon floor hatch to the bilge that you mentioned in your previous post (I used to stand it up and then lean it against the stove) . Doing this will give the bilge area below some light. Next, unhook the removable steps leading from the head up to the salon. As you know, these three steps have little hooks and eyes holding them secure.

Undo the two hooks and pull the steps straight back toward the v-berths first, before lifting them up. You can lay them on one of the berths. By the way, in order to remove these three steps, first open up the locker door (the locker that is under the L-shaped settee) . If you don't then the steps will hit the moulding around that settee locker door.

With the steps removed, you will notice and be able to open a different access hatch, also leading to where the generator is currently located. Then if you close the settee locker door and open the door to the V-bunks and leave it open, you can lay down comfortably flat on your stomach and stick your head through the access hatch and look around especially with a flashlight. It will give you a pretty good view from a different angle. I had the air conditioning intake water pump installed at this point and I would clean it's weed filter, while laying in this position. But I figure that this angle will get you a pretty good look at those tanks, especially to see how the mystery tanked is plumbed. From this position, you can manually start your generator as well as charge the generator battery with a car charger (just sayin') :)

What kind of toilets are in your boat. Is it possible that you have vacuflush or similar units and a black water holding tank was installed at some point?

I rather doubt this is the case because, although Bob is totally correct and the salon floor is removable - you want to avoid it if possible because it is a big job, Rhino. I know from unhappy personal experience. A big big job. :) Anyway, I've talked a lot here. Long winded.

Keep in touch with the Forum Rhino, and welcome!! by the way.

Rick
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Thank you Rick! I did what you said and the best I could see is that the tank must be extended range fuel tanks. What plumbing I could see, is all fuel related. I am going to post the numbers on my boat if anyone can come up with something. I have the Thetford pump out type of toilet,kinda looks like a porta-pot , which I'm going to change ASAP. Thanks again for all your help! Rhino
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I Believe the owners manual will have all that info , check with Beacon . Photos of the tanks ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels