Tips for reinstalling removable cabin roof on a 36' Tricabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Medic4U

Tips for reinstalling removable cabin roof on a 36' Tricabin

Post by Medic4U »

Had to remove my Tri-Cabin Cabin top to remove the original refrigerator & love seat, as well as repair some leaks. Now in the next few weeks it will get warm enough that a new fridge will be lowered in place, (the new LoveSac furniture will fit thru the Companionway), so it's time to put the roof back on, & hopefully take care of the leaks too.

Does anyone have a tried and true methodology, recommended sealant, etc for this job? My fear is whatever sealer I use, I won't be able to get all the way around before it starts to dry where I first started! I would appreciate any input. I've never taken on a job with this size of a 'hatch' to seal. The windows are my next project... Thank you in advance.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Tips for reinstalling removable cabin roof on a 36' Tricabin

Post by WayWeGo »

In similar situations where I have had to put a long amount of sealant on, I have applied the sealant and just before installing, I have run the tip of the sealer container over the sealant to break up the skin that has formed while I was applying it. Its better to have two people applying the sealant, but when you don't have a helper, this technique has worked for me.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would think about re-glassing it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

While you have your headliner down, consider insulating the overhead in order to reduce air conditioning load. And I saw a tri once that had replaced the factory hatch with a piece of plexiglass so as to form a skylight.

As for sealant, unless you know that you are going to sell your boat to someone that you hate, avoid 5200.....

How old is your water heater? Might consider a preemptive change-out while the going is easy. On my '85, I had to cut the outer shell off my heater to get it out. I very carefully purchased a replacement heater that barely (perfectly?) fit through the door intact.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My son and I did ours to get the frig in. I am sorry I do not remember what sealer I used was from West Marine I think butyl sulfide. Put the bead down then set the roof put in the screws. After putting headliner in place we masked the groove in top off and filled with the same sealer and smooth. Never leaks and looks good.

I recall it was really tough getting the hatch un glued when removing.

Good luck.

Oh BTW water heater is now square one 11 gallons which fit through the doorway.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink