I need a bolt size.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JRB3

I need a bolt size.

Post by JRB3 »

I tried sending this last night but it did'nt go through,so here I go again. Does any member know the correct size ratchet needed for the vibration damper bolt (the main crank-shaft), for a M383 Chrysler Marine block? I maxed out my 1/2 inch drive breaker bar set ( 1 inch ratchet). I'm trying to 'turn' the pistons and any advice would be helpful. Thank you all JRB3
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

It's most likely 1.25
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

JRB3,

1/2" drive should be more than enough to turn over the engine... perhaps I'm not understanding what you want to do. Is your engine siezed and your trying to free it? If not, then removing the plugs should release any compression and make turning the crank much easier. If you don't want to remove the plugs, just turn the crank over slowly and allow some time for compression to bleed off.
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

jrb3,

I got your PM. Perhaps I mis-understood your request. I think you meant to ask what size "socket" (as opposed to rachet).

Although given your soleniod click - (and if I understood the boats history), I think I understand what your trying to do.