Battery choice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

Battery choice

Post by fourreins »

I have a 10.8 International and need to purchase new batteries this year. What do most of you use? Dual Purpose or Deep Cycle batteries? Currently have Dual ...,
Resolute

Re: Battery choice

Post by Resolute »

6V Golf Cart Batteries. I upgraded the batteries in my 10 meter and was able to get four 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries in there. They are rated at 210Amp hours each. These are true deep cycle batteries and have thicker lead plates unlike some batteries that claim to be a deep cycle that simply don't. Golf cart batteries are the way to go and are substantially less expensive than Gel or AGM.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Flybridge Sedan - 454 Crusaders
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fourreins wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am I have a 10.8 International and need to purchase new batteries this year. What do most of you use? Dual Purpose or Deep Cycle batteries? Currently have Dual ...,
Depends on your use . For me none of the above . I use only cranking batteries . But I have little house load as I plugged in or running or have the generator running on the hook most the time . Anchor light draws little and other lights are intemently used .

Now If I needed to run higher house loads I would go the 6Volt golf cart battery route for medium loads you can go golf cart batteries or you could use a deep cycle for the house and cranking for the engines . See the post above By Resolute

You will notice I did not bring up using dual purpose . Not a great choice IMO . Some are manly a deep cycle you can crank with others lead towards cranking you really don't know . But they rarely do bottom very well .

How are you using your boat ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

So, the boat had dual type batteries when I bought it so that’s what I replaced with last time. Our boat is always plugged into shore power and when we are out we run the gen. Sounds like just a cranking battery would be best for us????
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Also, they are currently group 27. Would this be correct? Boats has 3 batteries.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fourreins wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:29 am So, the boat had dual type batteries when I bought it so that’s what I replaced with last time. Our boat is always plugged into shore power and when we are out we run the gen. Sounds like just a cranking battery would be best for us????
Yes assuming you have a onboard charger while your staying at the dock .

Resolute wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am 6V Golf Cart Batteries. I upgraded the batteries in my 10 meter and was able to get four 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries in there. They are rated at 210Amp hours each. These are true deep cycle batteries and have thicker lead plates unlike some batteries that claim to be a deep cycle that simply don't. Golf cart batteries are the way to go and are substantially less expensive than Gel or AGM.
Now if your on the hook a lot and not running the gen this is the way to go . Resolute just did very long trip and would know
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fourreins wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am Also, they are currently group 27. Would this be correct? Boats has 3 batteries.
27 would be fine even over kill for the gen . I assume your gas engines ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Yes, plugged in with charger and run gen when out. The boat is an 89 with crusader 454’s. I think I’m going to switch to cranking batteries. I appreciate your feedback and knowledge! Thank you......