Engine issues

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Engine issues

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like you may have picked up some trash in the fuel filters nor even the check valves
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mowens

Post by mowens »

prowlersfish wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm Sounds like you may have picked up some trash in the fuel filters nor even the check valves
So yes on the stbd motor. I had some garbage in the fuel filter. I also seem to have a clogged vent.

Port motor still acting up. It runs fine for a while like today i went 16miles out to a reef at around 2700 rpms it backfired through carb 2 times probably 10 mins apart then nothing else. dropped anchor fished for 2 hours then staerted coming back in and the engine ran up to 2500 rpm and started looping 2000-2500 rpm wouldn't climb over that, and didn't backfire.

I am strongly feeling like the port has some form of issue with the Distributor. It is oem older points new cap and rotor.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Backfiring through the carb is often a lean condition. I am guessing you checked the external fuel filters, but did you check the filter on the quadrajet fuel inlet?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Did I miss where you checked fuel filters for gunk? Gas tanks still the original galvanized steel? I’m only a lil old F26 with single Chrysler 318 but was having some of the same weird engine issues, especially at 3K RPM or over. Prior owner used to “solve” it with dry gas, but he only kept the tanks filled with 5 gal of regular, non-ethanol gas. Who knows what the prior owner(s) did. Replaced the old tank with poly tank in 2000 and started using non-e gas available at local marina and things have been sweet ever since. Just a thought.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
mowens

Post by mowens »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 am Backfiring through the carb is often a lean condition. I am guessing you checked the external fuel filters, but did you check the filter on the quadrajet fuel inlet?
Checked that one too. I might try to retune it. I tuned to vacuum 19-20 psi and it runs great, maybe i need to richen it up at idle for higher rpm.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Boppy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm Did I miss where you checked fuel filters for gunk? Gas tanks still the original galvanized steel? I’m only a lil old F26 with single Chrysler 318 but was having some of the same weird engine issues, especially at 3K RPM or over. Prior owner used to “solve” it with dry gas, but he only kept the tanks filled with 5 gal of regular, non-ethanol gas. Who knows what the prior owner(s) did. Replaced the old tank with poly tank in 2000 and started using non-e gas available at local marina and things have been sweet ever since. Just a thought.
Yes all filters checked. I think these are aluminum tanks actually don't look galvanized. Non-magnetic.

Your right on no telling about the op. I luckily had almost empty tanks when purchased. Added fuel and ran them checked filters a few times ( still checking ) and rebuilt carbs. I am not opposed to swapping to poly tank just would like some validation its the issue.