318 freeze plug rusted through

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

drudodson

318 freeze plug rusted through

Post by drudodson »

Getting to know my F25 318, and had a lot of water in bilge after last run. Found a rusted through freeze plug about a 1/8" hole in it. Bottom of engine port side, next to oil dipstick connection. Can I get that thing out and replaced one handed while standing on my head in the hold? Or better to JB weld it until a future pull out? Anything else I should be thinking about?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.28.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.28.52 PM.png (120.95 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Lake Ouachita, Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
F-251 Hardtop 1973 with LM 318 Chrysler (reminds me of my '71 Challenger!)

"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty." G. K. Chesterton
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: 318 freeze plug rusted through

Post by P-Dogg »

Let my just say "Ugh!"
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

OK, now let me say replacing the plug is the best option.

Not to encourage other options........ A self-tapping screw plus JB Weld could be in your future. You've got to get the better of the pressure that wants out, which is prolly on the order of 15 psi. If you're looking at, err, uh, a temporary fix to tide you over, seal the screw with the adhesive sealant of your choice as you screw it in, rather than rely purely on the adhesive properties in tension with no mechanical plug for said hole. Sand the plug and degrease it and the screw before applying sealant. But you didn't hear this idea from me.......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

They all need to be replaced , with brass .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
drudodson

Post by drudodson »

Thanks for the temp fix idea that I didn't hear :) . I agree on replacing all with brass - is that an engine pull? Pretty cramped down there . . .

"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty." G. K. Chesterton
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Dorman makes an expandable rubber plug for repairs like this, I have used them when there is no extra room. Google dorman expandable freeze plug repair. There are u tube videos. But if you can swing a hammer enough to knock the new plug in, it will be better to replace properly with brass plugs.

If one has gone have a real close look at the others.
drudodson

Post by drudodson »

glad to hear the Dorman expandable might buy me some time. yes, tomorrow will be about finding the others and - gently - pushing on them. thanks,

drudodson

Post by drudodson »

Thought I'd close the loop on this and report a happy ending. About half the plug disintegrated when I touched it. Two days and six total hours of pecking, pushing and prying it finally came out - sheesh! The Dorman installed in ten minutes, and is holding fine. Tough on an old man, tools down in the hold, laying on the cockpit sole. With any luck I bought a few months before an engine pull and replacing all the plugs - plus a lot of other maintenance. Thanks again.