A/C while away

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LHFixer

A/C while away

Post by LHFixer »

I returned to by boat last night and my neighbor was all upset that I left my A/C running while I was away. He was certain that I would sink my boat. I thought he was overreacting. I mean this thing has been in service for 25 years without a problem. I don't see it suddenly bursting a pipe and filling the bilge. My dog would probably die from the heat if it wasn't running.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Eric

Build a man a fire and he will stay warm all day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

ac while away

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I would think that if you have people at your marina who look after things during the week and if you have checked all hoses and clamps regularly that with dual bilge pumps capable of 1100 GPH each that even if a hose broke at 500GPH you could stay afloat as long as you did not lose power too. If a hose broke then the pump would only run until the AC overheated and then it would not pump at 500GPH anyway. It would just leak somewhere. I don't think it is a huge risk but there is some risk. The dehumidificaiton helps keep the rest of the boat in good shape by not being baked all summer or getting musty and moldy.

That's why you have insurance. For the worst case scenarios that can happen.

Relax have a cold one and don't worry.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
rickalan35
Moderate User

Agree with Tad

Post by rickalan35 »

Agree with Tad on everything everything except possibly his insurance comment. They (the Ins Co.) might not be pleased with the fact that you were away from the boat with the system still running. I suppose I've grown to distrust them over the years.

When neighbors complain at my marina it's because of the sound of the water discharge.

Rick
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mines on right now . what would the boater next to me say ? nothing his is on also .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

" If a hose broke then the pump would only run until the AC overheated and then it would not pump at 500GPH anyway. It would just leak somewhere."

Tad, if the hose ruptured before the a/c unit, then yes, there would be a possibility that the unit may shut down the pump if overheated. Then whatever flow coming into the strainer and pump would possibly leak into the bildge.

But...the discharge side would leak huge amounts. :( If the leak or burst happened after the a/c unit...between the condender coils and the discharge thru-hull. :cry: The a/c unit would still be functioning and cooling.

The idea on newer electronic controlled units would be to program the unit to control humidity, this way the boat stays cool by being cycled during the week while away, without too much fear of damage.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

My slip neighbor runs theirs all the time. They have a 03' Sea Ray but it still runs all the time. But they got more money than god.

As far as someone complaining about water discharge, that's stupid for them to complain about water discharge. I mean, you are on the water, your gonna hear water related sounds and should expect it. If they have a problem, then that is their problem. Don't listen to your neighbor. He will get over it. :roll:

Personally I turn mine off just because of the age or my units, the wiring, and the cost of electricity, never really thought of a pipe bursting but most of my parts are replaced and updated so I shouldn't have a problem.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I would have to agree that leaving anything on to include air conditioners is not safe if you’re not going to be onboard! you’re A/C could overheat and start a fire that could burn your whole Marina down. I don’t even leave my shore power cord plugged in when I go home after the weekend.
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International