1984 Trojan 10 meter ignition wiring troubleshoot

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Swiftsbeach

1984 Trojan 10 meter ignition wiring troubleshoot

Post by Swiftsbeach »

Hey all, I am a newly registered follower. I recently obtained a 1984 Trojan 10 meter with twin 350 crusaders inboards. It’s been sitting and had no batteries so I am chasing some loose ends as other hands took some things apart and left it undone.

When I got the boat I was told the starboard engine and generator were good to go and the port engine had signs of Minor overheating. (Explained by previous owner) I have found that the wiring is confusing me a bit. I can’t help but think something is crossed somewhere.

I began by remounting the starter and main pulley. I then found that the transmission was loose as well. It seemed to me that someone was trying to find out if the engine was locked. After wiring everything back up the starboard engine and generator turn over fine. The port engine clicks signifying that the starter is engaging but not cranking.

(I’m nervous the engine is locked but not certain as I believe there is something wrong with the ignition wiring.)

When I fully connect the starboard engine battery, turn on the power main, and have the ignition Colour off, I get no alarm. With the starboard power main on and the ignition lockout on the oil pressure alarm sounds. The oil pressure alarm turns off when I turn the ignition lockout off. I believe this is correct. I’ve read that the oil pressure alarm will sound when the ignition has power and there is no oil pressure. once running and oil pressure rises to a good level the alarm will turn off. So for both engines when the power main switch is on and the ignition lockout is off it should not sound.

Here’s the problem.... when the port battery is fully connected and the power main switch is on, the oil pressure alarm sounds whether the ignition lockout is on or off. I believe this not correct. I should be able to have the batteries on for cabin and accessory use without having to listen to the alarm if my ignition is off. I believe there is some kind of wiring issue somewhere that is connecting constant power to where I should have switched power for the ignition lockout.

Has anyone had this issue before?
What was the cause?
Could I have wired the starter backwards somehow keeping the ignition hot?

Ill attach a few photos. Any and all help is appreciated

When I fully connect the port engine the ignition
Swiftsbeach

Re: 1984 Trojan 10 meter ignition wiring troubleshoot

Post by Swiftsbeach »

Some photos
Attachments
Paralleling solenoid
Paralleling solenoid
6147D690-3C54-4187-90FE-9F239BBFA633.jpeg (146.21 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Switch board
Switch board
57F5C915-04BF-48D8-98D9-3E6CEF5E32DE.jpeg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

not sure if I can help here or not but here goes
try and turn the port engine manually that will tell you if it is frozen or not
check for loose wires I recently replaced a starter motor needlessly only to find a loose wire on the nuetral safety switch (the switch turned out to be bad as well)
electrical things may behave differently under load
I have three batteries, one for the house only
my ignition alarm only sounds when switched on at the helm
hope some of that helps

rr
10 meter mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

one engine turns clockwise, the other turns counterclockwise.

this would (i'm guessing here) require different starters?

just a thought (to start)

Assuming you are on the hard, if you are in the water, DO NOT OVER CRANK THESE ENGINES WITHOUT FIRST CLOSING THE SEACOCKS as you will end up pumping raw water into the risers/elbows/manifolds/cylinders

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED