Lunaire Salon AC and blower issues

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

joshhunsberger

Lunaire Salon AC and blower issues

Post by joshhunsberger »

Hello!
I own a 40' 12 meter Aft cabin boat and we are having issues with our Air Conditioning in our Salon, our current setup is I have a Condensing Unit behind the Shower wall in the Aft Cabin Head and an Air Handler/Blower under the Helm on the Bridge. I went to power on the unit in the spring to test everything and the other 2 units in the Forward and Aft cabin worked fine! But when I powered on the Salon AC I got a CLF error on the Display, which I find out is a Compressor Load Fault error! Then after that the unit would cycle on and off every 2 minutes or so, even if it was off. So I had to turn it off at the Breaker. So I tried replacing the the Control Panel(FX-1) with one from Coastal Climate Control and I verified with those guys that I wired everything correctly and now we are not getting anything. The panel turns on but the AC Unit does not! So my question to the forum is can I just replace the Condensing unit by itself, or do i need to buy a whole new Closed system with condensing unit and air handler/blower? If I need a whole unit what would be considerable replacement for that size of a space? Thx!!
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Re: Lunaire Salon AC and blower issues

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Is she a express ?
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Sorry... no it’s a Motor Yacht.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I was talking to Bob on this , and we both feel there a added issue with the new control as it is doing nothing . You may want to hook up the old one and recheck the system . Did it have water flow on that unit ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Hello... I had tried hooking up the old one and that did nothing as well, it would just cycle on and off every couple minutes even when there wasn’t power, which is why I would have to turn it off at the breaker. I also talk to the guys at coastal climate control and they said that the new panel was fine. If the condensing unit or the air handler is bad what kind of behavior would I experience? I replaced the control panel on the forward cabin air conditioning unit last year and didn’t have any problems with wiring that one. Thx!
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

And yes sorry I did have water flow...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Did you have turn it off at the breaker with the old control ? Did you check pressures ? Blower coming on ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Sorry for the late response... But unfortunately they are dead and have to purchase a new AC and to make matters worse we lost the unit in the Aft cabin as well. So we bought 2 new Marinaire units! But now i have to find some way of selling 3 pretty much brand new Coastal Climate Control FX-1 modules? Any thoughts on that would be great...
ramblin

Post by ramblin »

I too am having issues with the saloon air in my 12 meter aft cabin. Similar symptoms, it tries to run for 1-2 min and then the breaker kicks off. I had an A/C guy check it out and he put a booster condenser to try and get the compressor to kick, but no good. He said the compressor is shot. Problem is given the age of the unit (1989) and being split system, no one wants to work on it. Trying to figure an alternative. thinking of getting a single contained unit and replacing old unit and running duck work. I'd hate to forego the ceiling handler, but i'm running into a brick wall.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ramblin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:50 pm I too am having issues with the saloon air in my 12 meter aft cabin. Similar symptoms, it tries to run for 1-2 min and then the breaker kicks off. I had an A/C guy check it out and he put a booster condenser to try and get the compressor to kick, but no good. He said the compressor is shot. Problem is given the age of the unit (1989) and being split system, no one wants to work on it. Trying to figure an alternative. thinking of getting a single contained unit and replacing old unit and running duck work. I'd hate to forego the ceiling handler, but i'm running into a brick wall.
Surprised no one will work on it . No issues around here see the a/c guys on older boats all the time . Maybe a good used compressor/condenser unit ? Or new that is r22 combatable , maybe a different brand . And your using a Marine AC guy/gal ? Right ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
ramblin

Post by ramblin »

Yes, marine A/C guy. I think it's the age and the fact that they seem to be very busy. Just to get them to come look at it was a struggle. Not many guys around here (Buffalo NY) work on marine A/C.