Rudder post leak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

boatsnbars

Rudder post leak

Post by boatsnbars »

Sorry for the long post. Over the last few years the starboard rudder has been leaking. This spring I repacked both sides but the starboard continued to leak no matter how much I tightened it. We left Saturday for a 5 hour run to start vacation. 45 minutes out the boat felt funny. We saw the aft pump cycling so we lifted the hatch and had some water back there and could see water streaming out the top of the packing nut. The aft pump would keep up with the incoming water. (I reinstalled an automatic float switch there this spring after not having one for several years.) When we got back to the dock we found the two bolts that hold the collar on were loose. On plane it would leak bad as the pressure on the rudder would cause it to pivot but once off plane all the water would go forward and it would only weep a little. It was a lucky find I thought I should share.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Rudder post leak

Post by prowlersfish »

Thanks for the info . I had the fiber glass crack under the rudder post , the post broke lose almost lost the boat . Also a F36 .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D