Gelcoat - EVERCOAT One step Premium Gel Kote

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Gelcoat - EVERCOAT One step Premium Gel Kote

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Any comments on this product. I have very many areas that I would like to repair. On my flybridge console for starters there are a least 30 holes from what ever the previous owners s s had installed. Not me just need to start these repairs. Alternatives would be appreciated. Only had my boat for 5 years, now retired and want to spend the sweat equity to bring her back.
F32 Fly 1975
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Gelcoat - EVERCOAT One step Premium Gel Kote

Post by prowlersfish »

Gel coat is not for filling holes "Use to fill gouges, chips, scrapes and deep scratches" Even then getting a good color match is not easy .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Thanks. That much I know, just wondering if this is a decent product, and easy to tint, as a 1975 hull can not accept a lot of compounding due to the thinness of the gel coat. Years of compounding I suspect and line wear.
F32 Fly 1975
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I typically fill smaller holes (less than 1/4") with fairing compound, medium size holes with glass fibers torn from mat and larger holes with 1708 and chopped strand mat using 5:1 epoxy. The sides of the holes are tapered 12:1 if I am using cloth, less if using just fibers mixed into the resin.

My gelcoat is worn through in places and I plan to paint instead of reapplying gelcoat, so any repairs are getting painted with Brightsides for now. I will probably use Alexseal when I repaint the whole flybridge and just roll it on.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

IMO a good product . tinting easy but getting to match is not east with gel-coat or paint
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

I repaired some soft spots on my foredeck a couple-3 years ago and sealed the resulting saw lines (kerf lines) with West white epoxy in a caulking tube with a mixing tip. Then after sanding the rougher areas smooth I used Easypoxy one-part poly with a roller on the non-skid and roller and tip method on the smooth outer bulkhead and deck edges. Came out “okay” but will not win any awards. Over the past couple of years it’s blended in with the rest of the weathered chalky old gelcoat so it’s now “goodenuf” for me and not noticeable. I’ve used West epoxy with tint to match gouges and spider cracks as well. I’m sure I could get much better results using a big bag of money given to a pro.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY