Potential Purchase Advice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dandj

Potential Purchase Advice

Post by Dandj »

Good Day ......

New to the forum. Just back from looking at a 1974 36 Tri. This boat is for sale by the original owner and at first glance seems to be in excellent condition. It was built in Niagara on the Lake and has an original teak interior that was special ordered when the boat was built and it also has two additional gas tanks that were added as part of the original build. This boat has never seen salt water and has called the Great Lakes home since it was launched. It has been kept in heated storage every winter. It has twin 440 engines ( hrs not known ). My wife fell in love with this boat after touring, and of course wants to persue the possible purchase. Based on what I have read here the next step I assume would be to have a survey completed. We would be first time owners who would primarily use the boat as a floating cottage on weekends although we would use it to explore areas of the Great Lakes during Summer vacations. Admittedly we are novice boaters with past pleasurecraft experience. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping to get some assistance with. 1. How does one go about finding a reputable surveyor? 2. Where could I look to determine a fair purchase price? I realize that results of the survey would help determine the value of the boat - however would there be a range anyone could provide for guidance?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Potential Purchase Advice

Post by prowlersfish »

Look at boat us for a surveyor list . Engines may be 400s not 440s
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Smileybritton

Post by Smileybritton »

Bought a 1985 Tri-cabin in March, has straight shaft 270 Crusaders, 1200 hours, clean old boat, lots of nice upgrades over the years, Eva foam deck, vacuum flush heads, etc. Canvas, cushions and interior in great shape. Gave $15,500
After owning it for 4 month's I would not sell it for what I paid for it! It's a great boat!
Attachments
20200525_141559.jpg
20200525_141559.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
fatman11

Post by fatman11 »

I agree with Smileybritton. I just got my first boat, a 1977 - 36 tricabin. On the trip to home port I hit a big squall in west Erie, Rode heavy swells, torrential rain and nasty westerly wind from Detroit River to Colchester before I could duck for cover. For a complete novice (I mean zero experience) the boat handled it all like I was a pro. Will never have to fear the elements again. Would not sell her for twice the price. But get survey.
1977 36 Tricabin
400s
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

SURVEY SEZ...........................

GE THE SURVEY !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
swampman

Post by swampman »

i look at quite a few tri cabins since buying my 82. Mostly for familiarization and ideas as to what others have done . Generally i would say pricing would range from 7k to about 22k on the majority . i can tell you the surveyor valued mine at 19k and it sold for 14 , to the owner before me . it had some issues . soft forward deck to starboard , cracked port engine block , bottom 2 inches of water heater was rusted into a pile . Lots of things didn't work. i did not get a survey but previous owner provided the one from when he purchased . I would never have paid 19 nor 14 for it in its condition but after a summer and a half of work on it , its becoming a nice boat again . The only issue the surveyor documented that i did not find on my own was the hynautic steering not having any air pressure , it still worked tho and i pressurized it to 28 psi last summer and its held since . i got mine so cheap from a friend that it did not merit the cost of a fresh survey and when i asked questions as to known issues i immediately got the "get a survey" brow beating from most seasoned members here . it was only later as i discussed that with the previous owner that he volunteered he had one done a couple years back and dug it up for me . after going over it i was pretty content that my own personal survey was damn near as thorough as his , just from having a mechanical inclination and love of boats .
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Tricabs are great boats, so long as fishing is not your primary activity. I believe that year has a small aft cockpit (prone to rotting -- google is your friend) and two beds in the aft cabin. They will be hot to lay on after running. I have the center-line full-sized bed, and a bath tub. I sleep on 220 gallons of gas......

You will have to look hard to find a boat that offers more privacy and space in 36 feet. A great feature is that there is no ladder, and wide flat decks. Great features for old knees. And if you have small kids the layout is great too. On true flybridge boats, small kids can exit the boat through the cockpit without the skipper knowing. On the tricab, the exit from the cabin goes right by the helm. And you can see anything that comes out of the forward hatch and side windows. Only the rear emergency escape hatch is unguarded. I had considered putting an "open door" alarm for it at the helm, but my kids are no longer little monkeys.

The boat has everything you need to sustain yourself comfortably. I have lived on mine since March.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!