Engine issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

Engine issue

Post by Boppy »

Coming back today the ol’ Blue Heron decided to konk out on me. I noticed hard starting before we left the dock, but no problem getting out. On the way back I was cruising slowly at 1500 - 1800 RPM (Single 1977 Chrysler 318 w/4bbl carb) and the RPMs started to decrease and finally the engine quit.. I got it started and the only way to keep it going was to continually pump the throttle back and forth. Got it back to the dock but it was not fun. Later I was able to start it back up and run it a while in neutral, engine hatch open. It I “goosed” the throttle it would hesitate a bit and then kick in. I run non-ethanol gas in it, but the tank has last year’s gas.. I noticed that the secondary doesn’t seem to open when I got to WOT or near WOT. Thinking about: 1. Glogged fuel line and/or filter, 2. Fuel pump going south, 3. Carb needs cleaning/maybe rebuild. Anything else you think I’m missing? Could use some extra minds on this one. Thank!!
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Engine issue

Post by prowlersfish »

Start with checking the fuel filter(s) and see what's in them
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Will do. Gonna narrow it down this week. Thanks.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Start with the anti-siphon valve. You are going to have to check it at some point. It is the first thing in the fuel line to clog up.Then check the fuel filters and replace them since the filters are off. Hopefully you carry spares. There is a flexible fuel hose between the fuel line and the fuel pump. I did have a hose collapse cutting the flow of fuel to the carb.I replaced the 12" hose with the proper hose with the correct fittings crimped on. Then the fuel pump volume and pressure. Then see if there is a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. Once again carry spares and DONT use a plastic fuel filter. Then see if there is a small filter inside the carb where the fuel line connects to the carb. Did you use fuel stabilizer when storing the boat for the winter. If you are not comfortable doing this work get a mechanic.
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Thanks, Kallen. All good advice. Already called my mechanic but he’ll be busy this week or next so I’ll have time to see if I can fix the issue myself.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Got up to the boat today. Removed and replaced the water filter from the gas line. Rust colored and some crud on top. Filter had not been changed since 6/19. Cleaned air filter/flame arrestor and carb. Ran engine after replacing filter and it bogged down, stalled and then came back to life and ran fine (in neutral, 1000, 2000, 3000 rpm). Shut her down and removed new filter. Gas looks clean and clear, no water. I filled 50 gal tank last year with non-e gas and it ran fine all last year. Pics attached of filter results. I don’t THINK that layer on top is gas and the one on the bottom is water......if it is then I’ve developed a new fuel based on 90% water...... Comments? Ideas? Thanks!
Attachments
From new filter
From new filter
59A26DE7-8A6A-42E6-9D93-D0543CB76006.jpeg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
From old filter
From old filter
5047B2C1-5D73-4398-A43E-58717561939E.jpeg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Well, duh.... That picture I shared of the light yellow gas sample? Yup, that big bottom layer is WATER. Gonna have tank drained of as much water as possible and then BUY A NEW FILLER CAP O RING! Gas is non ethanol but not impervious to water coming into the tank during rain storms from a filler cap with a shot o ring. Cheap part. Expensive lesson learned :roll: :roll:
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I left my cap off , 1 week later I had to pump out 20 gals of water from the bottom of the tank .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

same "O" ring is on your fresh water tank deck fitting

good idea to change these every few years

good example of where a .25 cent part can cause lots of grief and expense

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

OK heres what I did when I put a gallon of water in the gas tank. Did not run engine. Removed the fuel gauge sender unit. Bought some fuel water paste from a auto store. Gas stations use this paste when they dip there under ground tanks.Applied the paste to a thin stick and dipped it in the fuel tank. The paste changes color if water is present. Saw how much water was in the tank. Used a manual oil change pump to suck out the water and crud in the bottom of the tank. You do not have to drain the tank as water sits on the bottom. Tested with the paste again. Added water absorber. Changed the fuel water separator after a short run. Dumped the separator fuel into a jar.No water. Reinstalled the filter. Changed the filter in the fall. The fuel pick up tube is always raised a couple of inches off the bottom so as to not suck up water or crud. A bore scope camera comes in very handy when inspecting the inside of the tank.
Goran

Post by Goran »

Boppy ,
I am glad you find/ fix the problem :)
Just this spring I replaced O ring , every year put some Vaseline for winter storage
Trojan 25F
Volvopenta 42
Lot of home-brew beer
Split-Croatia
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Thanks all for advice. Just put a new o ring on gas and waste caps. Going to have my marina handle the tank pump out, etc. next week. Total cost for o rings $2. To prepare myself for the next cost I shall now hit my forehead with a brick several times.....
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Anddddd....drum roll please.......cost for marina to pump out old water logged gas, install new sender because old one was shot, refill tank with fresh gas and sea trial.......$659.00.......Very expensive lesson for me to learn about making sure there’s a good o ring to seal my gas cap. Just in time for me to get ready for haul out in a couple of weeks since our lake is man made and is used to regulate the level of the Hudson River for flood control and to keep the salt level from migrating to far upriver to mess up Poughkeepsie’s drinking water supply......damned flat-landers and their stupid need for drinking water.....SOOOOO glad 2020 will be over!!
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999