Volt Meter Differnt

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Volt Meter Differnt

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I installed two new series 27 batteries and two new voltage regulators in my F32. Upon initial start of engines both volt meters showed 14.4 volts and then I shut them down assuming all was well. I have an on shore smart charger and they charged over night. The next day I started the engines and the port volt meter read 13.5 volts and the starboard read 12.5 volts. I took the boat for a 1 hour ride and nothing changed in readings much maybe went up a half volt. Is this normal or is something wrong with the voltage regulator on the one reading 12.5 volts. Is it because that side does not need to charge yet or does the voltage regulator need to be adjusted to 13.5 volts? Any suggestions or should I just not worry about it. I know both voltage regulators are working because they are not charging over 14.4volts and they drop back but they are not the same.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Volt Meter Differnt

Post by prowlersfish »

12.5 is not charging A charged battery voltage is 12.6 running your voltage should be 13.5-14.5 . Volt meters on the dash can read lower then real voltage due to the long wire run . Why did you change the regulators ?

Was the generator running and battery charger on by any chance ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I changed the regulators because one of them showed a failure based on test with a meter and the other had melted the material inside. I also had a similar issue with the ignition module that had melted all the material inside it. My new voltage regulators do have an adjustable rheostat on the back that the others did not. Checking the voltages with the meter when I get back to the boat to see real voltages.

I don't have a genny and it was reading 12.5 while running and not on shore power so the charger was not on.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Try the adjustments , use a volt meter at the battery . I would shoot for 14.0 volts .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D