10 meter mid cabin duct question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mowens

10 meter mid cabin duct question

Post by mowens »

So I have remains of ducting in my engine room. I cant tell if it was previously part of the A/C or Blower or both.

Does anyone have a picture or layout of what that ducting should be or can describe it?

I have a few small 2'-3' pieces left here and there throughout but nothing really attached to anything.

TIA
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: 10 meter mid cabin duct question

Post by RWS »

exhaust fume ventilation - BLOWER duct resembles dryer hose and runs to/from the bottom of the bilge.

The electric blower fan SUCKS air from the bottom of the ER bilge to the outside

Gasoline vapor is heavier than air

it sinks to the bottom of the bilge and cannot escape on it's own

STRONGLY SUGGEST your attention to this potentially FATAL situation IMMEDIATELY

The AC vents will likely not be found in the engine room space.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
mowens

Post by mowens »

Totally my plan to make this a priority. Why I was asking for a layout. Not really sure where what goes. I have some that's metal and some that's more plastic. But all about 3 inch.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I can help you with that. I too had a mix of 3” and 4” and just standardized on 4” all around to make it easier going forward. There should be two hoses running port and starboard up to the intake vents on each side. I would suggest getting a new intake box from Beacon and replacing the factory setup which I guarantee is long since rotted. It’s designed to channel the water back out instead of relying on the integrity of the hoses to stay watertight. This is an issue because salt and rainwater winds up on top of the fuel tanks.

One hose is basically secured in front of the engine and the other runs along the side of the engine and hangs around the transmission (at least that’s how I have it now). The important thing is that they’re secured and that any water that winds up in the hose is routed “outside” the stringers next to the near fuel tanks. That takes care of the air intake.

The other hoses are for your bilge blowers. Those are connected to the bilge blower motors which you can access by removing the combing boxes under the teak steps. Those get secured under the deck and run to the center bilge. You should see the 1/2 circle cutouts in the plywood behind the battery box. Those are for hoses to pass through into the low part of the bilge.

That should do it.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Confirming, there is no AC ducting in the ER of a mid cabin.
1988 10m mid cabin
mowens

Post by mowens »

Thanks guys I think I get the general idea.