Help with Water Tank access on 1980 F30 Sport Cruiser

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Little Big Man

Help with Water Tank access on 1980 F30 Sport Cruiser

Post by Little Big Man »

Gentlemen, I hope everyone is having a Happy 2021! I know we all would welcome it!

I need some guidance, please. I have a 1979-80 F30 Sport Cruiser which I need to get some Peak RV/Boat water system antifreeze in to my potable water tank and hot water heater. This is my 1st time attempting to winterize the water system and I'm stymied.

I've opened my galley and head faucets and I've run the water, shower and head pumps to clear as much water as I can out of the lines. Now, I have not figured out how to get the antifreeze in to the water tank or hot water heater. If its simple, I've complicated it to a point of exhaustion!

As always, many thanks and I hope you and yours all have a safe and happy 2021! Jon Secrest
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Help with Water Tank access on 1980 F30 Sport Cruiser

Post by WayWeGo »

I don't put antifreeze in either my water tanks or my water heater.

I bypass the heater and drain it through the cold water fill line at the bottom of the heater. I also run the house water pump until the tanks are dry and then disconnect the pump from the tanks. Using compressed air, I blow out all the lines, making sure every faucet, shower or other water connection is blowing air without water. While you could stop there, I use the house water pump to run antifreeze through the lines and out each faucet, shower or other connection. This only takes a gallon or so.

Bypassing the heater is not particularly easy on our F-36, which I will be addressing when I complete my job to replace the plumbing. I got started this past summer but had too many distractions and had to pause for the winter. I will be posting about this project when I get further along, so stay tuned.

Besides replacing the failing polybutylene lines, I am adding better water filtration, valves to aid winterizing the boat and also the means to fill my water tanks from the house water system without using the deck fills. For lines, I am using Uponor AquaPEX tubing with Uponor ProPEX expansion fittings.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Help with Water Tank access on 1980 F30 Sport Cruiser

Post by P-Dogg »

Little Big Man wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:33 pm I have not figured out how to get the antifreeze in to the water tank or hot water heater. If its simple, I've complicated it to a point of exhaustion!
Pour it in through the deck fill.

I've installed a water heater bypass. Without one, winterizing would be a PITA. Think it through. You'll figure it out.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!