Trim Tabs Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Trim Tabs Trojan

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Trojan trim tabs were primarily for transverse stability. ( port and starboard balance)

On Trojan F boats optimal planing is at 4 degrees from bottom water surface. (Bow up )

On Trojan Internationals planing is 5 1/2 degrees (runs up hill)

On smaller F boats F-25 and F-26 (single screw) slow spreed planing can be achieved with more tabs.

You can check degrees with a Inclinometer

We have all the parts for Trojan original trim tab systems.
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Or
Trojan Boat Store
Attachments
FB781CCB-C6C3-41AA-A5FD-1AB703465BD4.jpeg
FB781CCB-C6C3-41AA-A5FD-1AB703465BD4.jpeg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 6583 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
dab62

Re: Trim Tabs Trojan

Post by dab62 »

Would there be any advantage to drop fin tabs on my '87 F32? I could not find a thread on the F series boats.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

here's a post from 2008

what a valuable asset this FORUM is

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=856&p=3839&hilit=drop+fin+rws#p3839

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
dab62

Post by dab62 »

This forum is a great resource indeed! I was wondering if anybody had added drop fins to their F series. If so,what were their impressions.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
dab62

Post by dab62 »

This forum is a great resource indeed! I was wondering if anybody had added drop fins to their F series. If so,what were their impressions. I could not find this during my search. perhaps no one has.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Many F32s had trim tabs installed as a factory option. OEM equipment was Insta-Trim http://insta-trim.com/ but I think Bennett may be on more boats https://bennetttrimtabs.com/ .

My F32 has the Insta-Trim, and on my father's old 1969 28' Sea Skiff we installed a Bennett system.

If you plan to run on plane then tabs are almost a must have (assisting with lateral stability, able to level the boat out if you have more weight on one side or strong cross wind, and helping fine-tune running angle for more efficient running and adaptability to sea conditions). If you only intend to plod along at 1500rpm / 8 knots or less, then they won't do much for you.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

dab62 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 pm This forum is a great resource indeed! I was wondering if anybody had added drop fins to their F series. If so,what were their impressions. I could not find this during my search. perhaps no one has.
I suspect you're talking about an interceptor or vertical plate trim systems. They're a good system and work great, better than regular tabs IMO. A lot of high end boats use them. They had their issues when they first came out but improvements have been made since. They deploy and retract much faster (about 5 times) than regular tabs, and while they create less drag than regular tabs, they provide more lift. There are simple up/down systems, or more complicated units that provide options like gyros for auto leveling, automatic roll control, stabilization, programmability, etc. They basically operate on the same principle as regular tab units, they just do it a different way, except that the interceptor design doesn't require the unit to be that far into the stream of water, only about an inch or so for full deployment depending on the model.

Interceptors are great for deep sea sports fishing rigs that use reverse quite often. With regular tabs, you need the optional brackets to keep them from getting ripped off in reverse at higher rpms due to the pressure of the water pushing down on them. They're not made to be used that way without the optional brackets which prevent the actuator from being extended beyond its working limits. That isn't a concern with interceptors.

As always, there's pros and cons to both systems. Bennett hydraulic tabs for example can operate trouble free for decades with perhaps the odd actuator seal replacement. Same with Insta-Trim as long as the critters don't chew on the exposed hydraulic lines. Those lines are also exposed to the elements and tend to need replacing after a while as the rubber ages. As internal working on most interceptors are exposed to the water they're in, they can get fouled up with marine growth but I have found that it happens more often in units that aren't used much.

Check out Zipwake at https://www.imtra.com/learning-center/categoryid/15
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year