Help in Restoration Please

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

duaner

Help in Restoration Please

Post by duaner »

I am new to this forum. I thought perhaps some of you members would have experience that could help me do some work on my 26 ft trojan. I would like to refinish the aft deck and am wondering if any of you have done such a project and if so any suggestions for sanding it down and type of finish to use. Also, the fiberglas on the roof and front deck has many pock marks. I dont know if this if from the acid environment that maybe it has experiences from previous locations or just poor fiberglas. Any suggestions on what to do to make it look better? I have attached a couple of photos of what i am talking about.
Attachments
Aft deck floor 01.jpg
Aft deck floor 01.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Re: Help in Restoration Please

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Start with some good old 80 grit on a random orbital sander work up thru 150 grit. There are numerous finishes you can use.

Search "Teak deck Refinish" for suggestions.
F32 Fly 1975
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

What do you mean by “pock marks”? Can you send a picture?
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
dang

Post by dang »

I'm about to do the same thing. Will post photos in the next few weeks I hope. Can't wait to see how you tackled it. I can tell you what I will NOT be using... varnish of any kind.
1975 Trojan F26 HT
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

dang wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:57 pm I'm about to do the same thing. Will post photos in the next few weeks I hope. Can't wait to see how you tackled it. I can tell you what I will NOT be using... varnish of any kind.
Varnish should never be used on surface that you walk on that might get wet, because it gets slippery and becomes a hazard, so don't use it on decks or swim platforms. I use Cetol on my 'under foot' woodwork (but don't use Cetol Gloss, as it gets slippery like a varnish). I have used Cetol Gloss on my bow pulpit (never stand on it, it just holds the anchor), and use varnish only on my aft rail.