Manifold gasket replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Briank117

Manifold gasket replacement

Post by Briank117 »

Hey gang,

Out of an abundance of caution, I pulled both sets of manifolds/risers off to inspect. 318’s. Checked out OK. I received replacement gaskets from Barr, and am curious if you guys install them dry, or use a small amount of Permatex (or equivalent).

Also, both of my blocks have the last manifold bolt hole bored into the water jacket. Any idea which product I should use to seal it when I reinstall manifold bolts?

Thanks,

B
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Manifold gasket replacement

Post by prowlersfish »

Normally I put gaskets on dry. But if the surface is pitted or in bad shape I may use a high temp sealant(RTV). Never ever use Blue ( I prefer red high temp')

Pipe sealant on the threads.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Briank117

Post by Briank117 »

As always, thanks for your response prowlersfish.

What type of sealant would you suggest for the threads? It looked like clear silicone was used when I pulled them off. Just no telling what type, and obviously I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can use pipe sealant, (the white stuff ) or Red RTV. If you wonder Why I keep saying Red . Different color RTVs is they have different qualities. To me, red works well in many cases and is high temp. Gray is ok too ( at least the brands I use). Blue seals nothing well, and every time I see it I seem to be fixing leaks or poor workmen ship.

Red has 1 big fault. it seems to get everywhere. Just like 5200 :mrgreen:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D