repower a 1973 f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

seayjc

repower a 1973 f32

Post by seayjc »

curious to know about others that have repowered the early years F32. stay with the 318, go to the 350, even diesel? tranny issues? motor mount issues, etc.

thanks
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

seayjc,

whats the goal for the repower? Lots of us have done it and each has his or her own reasons. I went to diesels becuase I wanted economical and fast cruise. Its certainly not the cheapest route. The older F-32's tend to be a little heavy for the 225 hp 318's. If I were staying gas, I'd opt for 5.7 liters and 275hp minimum. Mine is a 1974 so like yours, it had counter rotating engines which is not really done anymore. As such, the trannies have to be swapped out as the BW71 does not support 2 standard rotation engines. If you have some more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.[/img]
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Crusader and Marine Power do offer counter-rotating engines now. I just put a pair of Marine Power 350CID, 315hp using the same trannies, no problems in my F32, and she really moves out now.
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Crusader and Marine Power do offer counter-rotating engines now. I just put a pair of Marine Power 350CID, 315hp using the same trannies, no problems in my F32, and she really moves out now.
seayjc

Post by seayjc »

These aren't quite run out, but I am planning ahead to save some money and be able to do it when the time comes, and it will.

The 318's are tired and I would love to pick up some efficiency (with new tech) and speed (with more ponies).

I would love diesel, but am not sure how long I will keep the boat and if I recoup most of it in the sale.

jav wrote:seayjc,

whats the goal for the repower? Lots of us have done it and each has his or her own reasons. I went to diesels becuase I wanted economical and fast cruise. Its certainly not the cheapest route. The older F-32's tend to be a little heavy for the 225 hp 318's. If I were staying gas, I'd opt for 5.7 liters and 275hp minimum. Mine is a 1974 so like yours, it had counter rotating engines which is not really done anymore. As such, the trannies have to be swapped out as the BW71 does not support 2 standard rotation engines. If you have some more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.[/img]