Trojan 13 Meter featured in Miami Vice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Trojan 13 Meter featured in Miami Vice

Post by RWS »

Anette Benning

Lou Diamond Phillips

Trojan 13 meter with the bad guys

Yes

MIAMI VICE episode RED TAPE Season 3

Members
• 168 posts

Posted January 8, 2010
My original review of Red Tape 02 August 2007 at 7:26pmThis is another one of my favorites from Season 3. I give it a 9. Finally Tubbs gets a decent episode where he's the principal character. We still have supporting roles from the rest of OCB, but it's clearly Tubbs's episode. I like the way they started this episode (even if it didn't look like it was 5 AM). Diaz and Trumble playing a little catch with a football, and generally passing time with each other while they waited for Crockett and Tubbs to show up. The brief teasing between the two teams of partners reminded me of "Cool Running" when everybody was on the boat teasing each other. In fact Diaz and Trumble remind me a lot of Jake and his partner from that episode. It's still pretty light hearted when Rico tosses the coin to see who would climb the stairs and go up with the two rookies. Again we have Sonny's excuse of his bad knee bothering him. But after everything hits the fan you don't see Crockett having any trouble taking the SID guy upstairs. Also everything turns serious. The music was interesting in this episode. We had recycled Jan Hammer music which immediately made me think of the earlier seasons. Also the first song (Best Adventures?) Was indicative of the music being used in third season, but they got the timing spooky in when Eddie puts his shoulder to the door, the lyrics are saying "This is where we say goodbye" Boom. It was where we said goodbye to Eddie. "Money Talks" was very appropriate for playing at the OVO where Tubbs went to try and get in touch with a Loan Shark, and where Glen tried to talk to him about the deal to make some money. (Was that Jerry's Famous Deli?" The interior, doors, and the building looked like it.) "Closer to Heaven" was somewhat appropriate since Diaz was going to die and Glen was going to die. Anyway it made a good song to accompany all the slow mo shooting and action. When I first saw this episode I really thought Tubbs had quit and was going bad! Now as I watch it knowing what's going to happen. I was watching for other things mainly how his colleagues reacted. What I've come up with was that Castillo put Tubbs on special assignment even without Crockett's knowledge. It seems to be a plan which would be implemented the next time a warrant was leaked. Tubbs immediately starts his rant, and Castillo acts like Tubbs is really being in-subordinate. It's obvious that Sonny thinks that Rico's Freaked and just needs to take some time off. So this plan must have been on a need to know basis. At the beginning Sonny really thought he was going to lose his partner. The look on his face when Tubbs throws down his badge and tells Castillo that he quits. From the conversation at the police station you can tell that Crockett is almost stunned! He really looks hurt when Tubbs says he doesn't have a partner anymore, and when Rico leaves and he talks to the uniform. Also at OCB when Tubbs is cleaning out his desk and talking to Sweitek it's obvious that Stan doesn't know anything about it. It's just those two. they weren't performing for anyone so I think Stan really didn't know. Also at the OCB strategy meeting where they're told that the bomb squad was having a second shift on call, and asking about Tubbs status. None of them know. In fact when Sonny learns that Tubbs is on suspension pending dismissal he walks out a second before Castillo dismisses them. Equally obvious is that by the time they're raiding the warehouse the whole OCB gang knows that Tubbs is on a case and is just pretending to have quit and be dirty. We find this out when Trudy tells the DEA guy that there wasn't much time between the time that Tubbs told them and the guys rigged the gun and then the police had to re-rig the gun with blanks. Crockett knows by this time, as you can tell he waves away a metro dade officer who's going to check on the DEA guy. If he did he would find out that the guy was OK. We find out for sure that everyone is in on it including Crockett when Trudy and Gina are trying to get the source to tell them where Mac took Tubbs. We also know for sure that Crockett knows because he's called in to try and get there in time to trail Tubbs after Tubbs calls Castillo to tell him the meet time has changed. Also Sweitek mentions that everyone is ready and no one wants to let Mac cop a plea to give his source up. Unfortunately they never told Diaz because he clearly thought that Rico was dirty. I guess the reason they never told him was because he wasn't one of the regular OCB detectives yet. I like the ending where Rico and Sonny reconnected after every thing went down, and Sonny was trying to comfort Rico. I also liked the way Castillo said to Rico to take off as much time as he needed. It was also a nice gesture for Rico to give Diaz his gold shield, although I often wondered when he got it back. I liked the Miami scenes in this: The street and the NEMO hotel colorings, the Marina, the OVO club scene and again the ware house scene. I also thought it was amusing that Annette Benning's character was involved with someone who reminded me of a young Warren Beaty.1/8/2010 - I haven't really changed my mind about this episode, except I think Crockett may have been told about Tubbs' undercover gig after he got to OCB possibly after he walked out before Casatillo dismissed everybody. Maybe Marty pulled him aside so Crockett woudln't interfere accidentally causing a mishap.

chum981
• Lieutenant

• Members
• 900 posts

Posted January 9, 2010
one of the best 9/10

Icemanmike
• Sergeant

• Members
• 359 posts

Posted January 14, 2010
9 outta ten for me. I loved this episode and it took my like six viewings to discover It was Viggo(eddie) in the beginning. I also loved that song played in the intro-both the Hammer tune and the one where the three are going up in the building when the door explodes. Who did that one? Very powerful tune, indeed. Is it really that sunny in Fla at 5:30 AM? Loved Lou's '68 GTO and lots of the Testa in this episode as well. I liked some of the views Michael Mann uses in this episode too. He took advantage of the evening sky in a shot and the balcony scene with Mac and Annette. Stunning. Another is the first time we see the 'bad guy's'(sorry couldn't really catch his name and it escapes me right now) boat-thru the palm tree trunks, across a yard. The boat here happens to be a Trojan Ten Meter which were new in the Vice era and literally put the boating world on it's ear, yet it's not much by today' standards. I also love the use of the old boat yards used in season three as well. I also actually believed Tubbs was gonna walk the wild side from here out if I didn't know better and then it all comes together. The color, music, style and the whole story made this series start to turn a corner and become spectacular. Yeah, the previous episodes were good, yet they're really picking up and all the little things are in place. Great guest stars and another CLASSIC MV episode here!! :thumbsup: ...Mike

vicenarc
• Corporal

• Members
• 180 posts

Posted January 16, 2010
I brand this episode with a 9. It was very involving throughout. Depicting Tubbs as a vice detective tired of being expendable and looking for more lucrative opportunities. He was so convincing that even a detective coming up believed he had gone over. A sad ending to finish though.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan 13 Meter featured in Miami Vice

Post by prowlersfish »

Have to find it and watch it.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Re: Trojan 13 Meter featured in Miami Vice

Post by BobCT »

I remember seeing that a few years ago, I thought it might have been an 11m though. I do remember it was a long scene, you got to see a lot of the boat which was really cool. Where is it now? Does someone here own it and have a chance to see what it looked like brand new?
1988 10m mid cabin